2-Factor authentication if phone lost

This is an enquiry and perhaps a word of warning. I changed phones last year and have also updated my PC at another time. This morning I was asked to 2 factor authenticate when I logged in to Quickfiles for the first time in months - I assume because I have not logged in for a few weeks over christmas. After some moments of panic, I remembered that my wife is using my old phone and it luckily still had the verification tool installed and so I was able to verify using it. I installed google authenticator on my new phone and went into the settings of Quickfile to pick up the bar code and my new phone is now enabled. Trouble is, I couldn’t have done this from outside of quickfiles.
My question is - what would I have done to gain entry if I hadn’t been lucky enough to still have my old phone? Is there a process I can go through to make sure I am not locked out again if I was to lose my phone?

Hi @robbrown_garden

There isn’t a way around it at the moment, but the right thing to do would be as you’ve done now - posted on here, and one of the QuickFile team members would pick up the enquiry and sort out access to your account.

See this article for more info:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/2-factor-authentication/8892#8

When I set up two factor auth I printed a paper copy of the QR code which I keep with my paper accounting records. If my phone ever does die I can use this printed code to reinitialise Google authenticator on another device.

2 Likes

Apologies for delay in replying as my PC died [amusing coincidence?] but is now working again - SSDs seem to be very robust once you have scraped the burnt plastic off them!
I must thank you for an obvious [in retrospect] solution which we should all remember to do when setting this authentication up. Perhaps the text on the set-up page should suggest this for new people?

1 Like

Also;

Sign in using backup codes.

Sign in with your backup phone.

1 Like

Hi I had my phone replaced, but did not back up Google authenticator. Hence I cannot login anymore as I do not have access to my 2FA. Please can you help ? Thanks

You probably need to start a new topic - this thread is years old.

Use “Authy”.

It backs up the keys to the cloud, and syncs across to multiple devices, inc a desktop app.

One of the few 2fa apps which does this.

Hi @Franky2

You should have received a private message to help get you back into your account. I will close this thread to avoid confusion