Accidently created 2 supplier invoices, but can't correct due to VAT lock

Hello,

I was due to pay a supplier £361.80 in two parts: £89.10 (deposit) + £272.70 (the balance) , about 6 months apart.

For the first £89.10 deposit, i did the usual – i.e. imported transactions from bank statement and tagged appropriately to create a purchase invoice. Marked the Purchase Invoice as £361.80 total, with £89.10 paid , and £272.70 balance remaining.

6 months later when the next payment had been sent and I was tagging bank transactions, I forgot to allocate the new £272.70 payment to paydown the balance on the existing purchase Invoice, and inadvertently created a new purchase invoice for the total of £272.70 PAID IN FULL (i.e. I inadvertently treated it as a new, separate purchase).

I have only now realized this, but cannot go back to delete the second incorrect £272.70 purchase invoice, because both purchase invoices are locked/greyed out (presumably because they were in a previous VAT period, for which the VAT return has already been sent).

So what to do now? The vendor’s balance is all actually all paid up, but QF shows that there is £272.70 outstanding.

many thanks in advance

Indy

Create a credit note to cancel the outstanding balance on the original £361.80 invoice. That credit note will deduct from your sales total on your next VAT return and balance everything out nicely, just keep notes to explain what you did if you ever get inspected.

Excellent - thanks very much @ian_roberts.

For future readers, what I mean exactly is go to the locked invoice, click the “more options” button at the top, then “credit note”. This should let you reduce the unpaid balance.