BACS / Cheque Payments Report for suppliers

Hello,

I have previously used other accounting products like Sage, and they have an option to export supplier payments to a file suitable for uploading to the bank. Likewise the payroll software I use has the same feature.

While I know different banks use different formats this would be a huge time saver for people who pay suppliers in weekly or monthly payment runs, and also reduces the chances of mistyping a suppliers bank details when sending to the bank.

If this is not possible, or an easier way to get supplier bank details would be appreciated. Going into each supplier, clicking edit and scrolling to the bottom makes BACS payments quite time consuming!

Thanks for your help.

I’m not sure on the precise requirements for bulk payment CSVs. I did in the past use “Barclays Business Master” (if I recall correctly) for bulk payment runs. I think the formatting requirements for the different banks would be so different we could only ever provide a generic CSV export and allow individuals to modify as required.

Did you have anything in mind? I mean we could include this on the backup CSVs if that would simplify things?

Hi Glen,

Our payroll software does list about 35 different payment file exports. I expect banks will publish their specification, or at least will provider them to developers. I too use Barclays Business Master, which has now been discontinued and replaced with Barclays.Net. This accepts 3 or 4 different input types.

I appreciate this could take some time to develop for every bank, but maybe based on customer demand some systems could be prioritised.

Regarding the second option, the ability to tick a number of outstanding invoices and the go to a ‘payment view’ which totals the selected invoices for each supplier, and then lists the supplier’s bank account name, sort code, account number and total would give easy access to copy and paste the payment details into any banking software.

I don’t use BACS but I would find it very useful to have a PDF or CSV report of payments to make on my banking system.

I currently go through the ‘money you owe’ link from my dashboard and tick the boxes for invoices for a particular supplier so that I can get a total to pay. If I could go through all of these and tick the ones I wanted to pay, then press a button for ‘Export payment list’ that would then group or sort by supplier, with sis total, that would be really helpful.

Of course one issue with this is that it doesn’t include any credit notes on a suppliers account, so you would have to be aware that there might be a credit to deduct before you pay (or perhaps you could include credit notes on this screen as this is the true figure of what you owe).

Kath

If you select the suppliers you want to pay then click ‘More Options’ you can then get a CSV export of these. The only thing missing is, as you say, any part payments already made or credit notes applicable.

Thanks Lurch :smile:

Hi
Would like to kindly request a Company Month end BACS or cheque run Report, including Tags as per Thread link below.

Purchases>>Outstanding Purchases, and ticked SHOWTAGS,
then exported into Excel
Sorted by Supplier Name
Then Outline Subtotal on change in Supplier Name, sum, Add subtotal to, Total Amount.

This will then tell us what we owe our suppliers and any invoices that we don’t want to pay yet. We would then normally use this report to create a BACS payment schedule within our Online Banking.

Thanks

@ChrisatIIOnline - I’ve merged your post into this thread which I’ve found, and updated to the title to reflect cheques too.

We can certainly investigate this further if there’s enough interest in this, so we’ll keep an eye on this thread and let you know if anything changes.

@ChrisatIIOnline @jeaston @MoKaPottery

I’m pleased to say we’ve added a new report to allow you to export supplier payments and bank details in just a few clicks. You an find the blog post below:

New Statement of Cash Flows, Batch Supplier Payment Reports and more

Give it a go, and please feel free to post any feedback on the blog post page.

Hi just wanted to say thanks for quick implementation, this feature helps us a lot, and I hope others.

Could you possibly add the TAGS as well to the EXPORT BATCH PAYMENT LIST, Detailed breakdown by Supplier.

We TAG our purchase invoices with TAG such as, DO NOT PAY, WAITING CREDIT NOTE, ITEM FAULTY, IN DISPUTE, etc. this is important as it stops us just paying the outstanding balances if we have any purchasing issues.

Minor request also list supplier in Ascending alphabetical order?

cheers
Chris

Hi Just starting to use this new

but unfortunately it does not do quite what we need.

Can you Sort in Supplier Alphabetical order, then purchased Date and show TAGS
example attached.

Cheers
Chris

Hi @ChrisatIIOnline

Thank you for your suggestion. We can certainly consider these when we next review this section.

1 Like

Hi
Any news on this request?
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

No updates here I’m afraid, but we’ll be sure to let you know if/when this changes.

Morning @ChrisatIIOnline

We’ve now made a few enhancements to the batch payment report.

1. Suppliers are now ordered alphabetically (ascending) with invoices grouped in date ascending order.
  2. The detailed report now includes project tags where applicable.
  3. We’ve created a dedicated landing page for exporting these reports which you can access from the reports section.

HI Glenn

Thanks for this, seems to be all there, however we have 2 scenarios with this months BACS run,

We have been given a,

1.) Supplier Credit note on Account
2.) Supplier Credit note against a Purchase Invoice

Both of which are not shown on the Export Batch Payment List?

Can this be added to this Report or if not how do we generate a clear Payment Report to show what we should pay a Supplier?

(Note: I have noticed that,

Dashboard - Supplier Management, Invoice Balance only shows Purchase Invoice Total and not actually what we owe the Supplier?

Dashboard - Supplier:, Account Balance at a Glance, Total does actually show what we owe, but I can’t generate a Report/List of Purchase Invoice/Credit notes to show clearly what to pay?
The View Outstanding excludes the Refund/credit? )

We make a distinction between invoice balances and prepayments (i.e. payments held on account). The batch payment report will not extend to prepaid balances on account. You would therefore need to assign these prepayments to your invoices before running that batch payment report.

The same situation applies in the the Supplier Management view, it will show your invoice balances in one column, you can then choose to display another column to show any separate prepayments.

If you believe that the batch payment report is running contary to what I’ve mentioned above we’d be more than happy to look into this if you could send a PM on the forum to @QFSupport or to me.

Thanks Glen, will PM in the next couple of days, cheers Chris

1 Like

HI Glen

1.) Are you able to fix the column alignment on the Detailed Report - Supplier Totals, as they are one column out I,J,K, should be J,K,L ?
1.) Can you add date filtering before the report is run so we can run Batch payment detailed Report for only due invoices (we have 30 days end of month terms) and need a report once a month.
2.) Also what are you using to generate these reports ?
3.) Is this report tool available to the user?
4.) Can this report Tool be implemented as an online browser tool?
5.) What other functions and Fields do you have availble to generate these reports post csv?
6.) can you add CNxxxxx’s (credit notes) data to the report for unpaid invoices?
7.) If we can’t add CNxxxxx’s (credit notes) is there a way to produce a report that mimics our Suppliers paper statement that shows, Payments/Invoices/Credit notes/opening balance/closing balance. This would allow our account department to have a tick list to use with the physical paper invoices and credit notes we have sent to us, this would then give us the reassurance we are paying the correct amounts to our suppliers.

Just to let you know our current Cheque run involves over,
18 Suppliers
100+ invoices
7 credit notes, relating to both Unpaid and Paid Purchase Invoices
and a significant amount in £’s
Currently its taking all day to figure out if we are paying the correct amounts and streaching our confidence as to whether we are paying the right amounts.

Thanks for reading and help in advance.

Cheers
Chris

1. This will be fixed in the next release (later today)

2. Building a web UI may be possible but it’s not a quick task I’m afraid. The original intent with this report was to create a machine readable output that could be fed into another system for automating the BACs run. The current reports are generated by our application, it’s a simple CSV output.

3. It’s a hard-coded module that produces 2 different reports, there are no means to tweak. Although you can do a fair bit of ordering and formatting in Excel.

4. See 2.

5. Can you please clarify?

6,7. This would involve a significant overhaul so I’m afraid we can’t commit to that right now. The report is designed to output the outstanding balance across all supplier invoices. If an invoice has a credit note attached that reduces the balance, that figure is included in the totals (on both the abbreviated and detailed report). Showing the invoice gross amount then itemising and deducting the credit notes would involve significant redesign that we aren’t able to commit to at this time.

This shouldn’t be the case. If you have credit notes against any invoices they should be factored into the balances on both abbreviated and detailed reports. Those aggregate balances should reflect what is owed to the supplier, with the exception of prepayments on account, but in such cases you’d need to assign the prepayments to first then run the batch payment report.