Balance Sheet totals not the same as Nominal account totals

Hi Glen,
I may be being stupid here, but I just ran the year end for 2014. My Nominal Code 1100 (Debtors Control Account) shows a balance of £44.00 but the Balance Sheet for the same period shows a balance of £60.00. What am I missing?

Thanks

John

What date range have you set on the nominal ledger view? The balance sheet only has one date and considers all entries up until that point in time.

Hi Glen,
The date range on the nominal ledger view is set to September 2103 - August 2014. The balance sheet is set to the same end date (31/08/2014).
This query came up when I was trying to produce our year end accounts…

Thanks
John

If you have transactions pre September 2013 then those totals will be different. A balance sheet takes into account all totals from the earliest entry in QuickFile.

EDIT:

OK just done a quick check and you do have entries there before September 2013.

Thanks for checking Glen.
How do I handle those pre-September entries? I did a Year-end for 31/08/2013 and then for 31/08/2014. Should that have closed off those entries?

Regards
John

The year-end procedure doesn’t clear down balance sheet totals. It’s perfectly normal to have debtor control balances at the year-end, after all you don’t write down debt when you close an accounting year… this just shows that at that time x amount was owed to you in unpaid invoices so it’s completely normal.