Context Specific Left Hand Menu

Hi Sue,

It’s in Account Settings >> Tools >> Document Manager

Or if you have keyboard shortcuts enabled you can just press m

Before I go into detail, let me first just say that this is a technical workaround and would require some understanding of HTML and CSS. However if you’d like to show/hide certain menu blocks on specific pages, this is the way to do it.

@ian_roberts we were unable to use nested <ul> tags as per your suggestion due to it mucking up the sorting functionality. However you can now target a header and it’s sub-items with a single class selector.

Each block can now be referenced using the class .m-h-b{unique_id}. The unique_id can be revealed by inspecting the HTML and identifying the unique class IDs attributed to each block.

Now using the above example, to hide the first block we can use:

.m-h-b4903 {
    display:none;
}

You can then use the body class for the page to reveal the menu block only on certain pages. The following will show the 1st menu block only on the sales list screen:

.page-sales-index .m-h-b4903{
    display: list-item !important;
}

If you want to show the menu on all pages within /sales the following should work fine:

body[class^='page-sales'] .m-h-b4903 {
   display: list-item !important;
}
1 Like

hi Glenn,
I saw and understood that the left hand column was going to be customizable, so that is clear. However at no time did anyone say it was going to disappear altogether. I like, I’am assuming many others were that the column would stay as is and you could customize it from there to suit yourself. I think Simon Maddox has an extremely valid point can the default setting be the left column as it was and then have people customize it from there. I have now been waiting over 2 weeks to have my left hand side returned as well as wanting to have it LOCKED as I do not want staff being able to add what ever external link they like to this accounting system. This wasn’t thought through nor was it implemented well.

Regards Damian.

Hi @damndit

Sorry to hear that you’re not happy with the menu.

We originally announced back in April that the menu was going to be removed (see here), but due to user feedback it was kept to an extent but made customisable to suit individual businesses.

As I explained in my message to you, (and as per @Glenn’s post above), we can import a default menu which reflects what used to be in place on the dashboard, but we do need your account number to do this.

As for ‘locking’ the menu, it may be possible to remove the option for external links using CSS if you have a Power User Subscription (required for L and XL accounts). If you need any help with this part, please let me know and I’ll try my best to help.

[Edit]
You can hide the external link option by adding the following to your CSS file (Account Settings >> Design Customisation >> Advanced CSS & HTML Customisation >> Global CSS):

.customizable tr:nth-child(2) {
    display: none;
}

However, a power user subscription would be required to add this.

Each team member has their own customisable menu. One of your users adding a link to a 3rd party website is no different from them adding a bookmark in their browser.

Glenn,

I did provide details for my 4 premium accounts with you to put the menus back but nothing has happened.

John

Hi @jvanhoof

Can you send me the account numbers in a private message please and I’ll take a look for you?

If it’s easier, you can invite me to be part of the message with @Glenn.

Please ensure that the menus for all users on the account are empty.