Downloading Qif format files from Halifax Bank

I have recently found that QIF files are downloading in the wrong date format from my Current Account with the Halifax
eg: 10/Jun/2016 which will not allow import to Microsoft Money.

^
D09/Jun/2016
PGOCARDLESS LTD
T-25

However, QIF files from my my savers account with the Halifax are downloading correctly with date format 10/06/2016.

^
D26/05/2016
PPAYPAL *ELIFESTORE
T-8.99
^

I have contacted the Halifax and they have advised me to contact Quckfile. Please Help.

Hi @Ralph_Kitter

If the file is being downloaded from Halifax, then it would be a Halifax issue. However, you may be able to edit the file in something like notepad and remove any anomalies and try re-uploading.

Generally, if you can, CSV files are easier to work with. It’s easier to see where issues are and to correct them.

I think you’d need to speak to Halifax about this as the date above is not valid according to the QIF standard.

Hi Ralph, Have you found a resolution to this? I am having the same issues and its maddening. My credit card statement will download (almost fine as the debt values all import as credits, but they are there). Halifax say they have raised with their online tech team but I’ve not seen a resolution. Notice the thread closes in 19 hours so wanted to stay close to it. Thanks

Hi, I’ve tried amending the date in notepad and saving it but when I upload to Quickfile only half the transactions go on.

@Tinsley_Home -
the only issue we can see if the date format as @Glenn points out. It needs to be in the format of dd/mm/yyyy. E.g. 01/05/2016 not 01/May/2016. But it is a Halifax issue as it doesn’t fit the qif standards.

@holmesju and @Tinsley_Home -
A CSV file would be quicker and easier to edit if you can get one, and more reliable. We have successfully tried this for another user and got it working.

will MS Money (Sunset) import a CVS?

Hi @DavidTinsley

I can only advise on QuickFile, but a quick search on Google seems to suggest this is possible:

I am also experiencing the exact same problem. I find I can get round it by using Notepad to find and replace the JUN to 06 etc.
I have also reported this problem to Halifax. They assured me that there cannot be any discrepancy between the current account downloads and saving downloads. I told them that is not true as I was looking at the discrepancy in Notepad as I spoke to them. They assured me it would be passed to the online banking IT staff. However I got the impression that I was talking way over their heads and they thought I was a mad fool on the phone talking gibberish. So I am not very hopeful anything will be done.
If it is not fixed soon I will raise again.

Hi @John_Cr

Glad you managed to find a workaround to this issue by using notepad.

Also, thank you for reporting it to Halifax. It’s continually difficult to try and make these links with banks, whether it’s importing files or using tools like the Chrome Bank Feed.

I believe my colleague has spoken with Halifax about this, but received a similar response (passed to the relevant team).

Hopefully, one day there will be a much easier way to accomplish this functionality :slight_smile:

I reported it again to Halifax. This time using their email problem report format.
I have now had a call back from them and they have raised it as a problem. I was assured they would pass to IT team.

1 Like

Just reported this Issue and been told the fix date is the 16th Aug :frowning:

I despair, I don’t think Halifax appreciate how much of a problem this will cause their customers.

I also have no idea how this can possibly take almost 2 months to resolve? :disappointed:

Quick work around

Ask Halifax on-line to export date but for ease keep within one month i.e. 1/Jun to 28/Jun as a QIF file
Select open with Notepad, when open use find and replace to change Jun to 06 (replace ALL)
Save on desktop then open from desktop and import is OK

Same issue here. I switched to Halifax recently, so not impressed with this. Grateful for the fix suggested above i.e using notepad and find > replace etc but I use a tablet and it’s more complicated. Another option is to download the statement as a csv file and converting it to qif. This website allows you to do that (need to create an account)
http://csvconverter.biz/
Hope this helps anyone but Halifax need to sort this out ASAP or I’ll be switching back :slight_smile:

1 Like