Important updates regarding the API

The following changes have been introduced and can now be implemented but will not become mandatory until the 10th of December 2013. The changes are very simple but please read through to ensure that you can continue to make calls to the API on and after the 10th.

Introduction of ApplicationID

In the next few weeks we will be updating our API so that all authentication headers must include an Application ID.

<Authentication>
        <AccNumber>6131400759</AccNumber>
        <MD5Value>***********</MD5Value>
         <ApplicationID>cbabdf21-7e05-422c-9075-7de5f5667a951</ApplicationID>
</Authentication>

To obtain an ApplicationID you will need to register your app within your Quick File account. In the account settings area you will find the following option under ‘Third party integration’.

Click the green button to create a new application:

You only need to give your app a name and a brief description of what it will do, also you need to declare which API methods you intend to use. This is important as any API calls made to methods not explicitly listed here will be rejected.

Once saved you will see an ApplicationID. Please ensure this is included on all future calls as illustrated in the XML sample above.

Submission Numbers

As of the 10th of November all submission numbers supplied in the header must be unique for every given application.

<SubmissionNumber>00000001</SubmissionNumber>

This was always the intention but was relaxed during the early development phase to facilitate the development of our iPhone app. Calls made with repeat submission numbers will be rejected.

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

Hi Glenn,
I see the sequence number is alpha numeric. For my C# framework I am trying to figure out what the best way to deal with the sequence is. Would a GUID be an acceptable sequence number (without hyphens)? Ticks since 1970 maybe?

As long as it’s unique, it should work. I have used the unix timestamp plus a few random numbers (in a real scenario, imagine 2 users submitting a request at the same time).

However, at present, I use a database generated ID, so I can log both output and response from the query.

1 Like

You can actually use a full GUID, no need to remove the hyphens.