Importing nominal ledger balance from previous years

Dear Support Team.

I have been using Quickfile mainly to generate customer invoices. I want to use the software for all bookkeeping routines.Please could you direct me to a step by step guide. Also could you let me know if my current subscription is adequate to be able to complete all bookkeeping tasks .I also downloaded bank statements for the current year without bring in Nominal Ledger balances from previous years . I urgently need your help. Do you have a current customer telephone number. Efforts to contact you using the telephone number on your website has failed. I look forward to hearing from you soon

Kind regards

Inspire12

Hi @Inspire12

Firstly, I don’t have access to your account so I can only use the information you’ve given me.

This can be quite difficult as it would be based on a number of factors (such as how you started - from a spreadsheet, paper records, a drawer full of receipts or other accounting software). However, we do have a number of ‘Getting Started’ articles that may help - check them out here

As mentioned, I don’t have access to your account, but I’ll quickly run through the 2 options available through QuickFile. A basic subscription (providing you have under 1,000 ledger activities) is currently free, anything above will be chargeable within the next few days. A basic subscription is more than ample for basic bookkeeping, the power user subscription is only required if you want to make heavy changes to your interface and use features such as webhooks.

What did you use in the previous years? If you used something like Sage, then you should be able to import a trial balance. Take a look at this topic - this should help based on several scenarios.

We don’t have a customer telephone number. The forum is our main method of support with an active community.

I hope that helps. If you do need any more help, please let me know!

Thank you for the response.:smiley:

I have been using quickfile from 1.4.2013 for mainly invoicing and the data transactions were in a different accounting system.

I would now like to integrate the transaction history into Quickfile . Is this possible?

Thanks

Kind regards

Hi @Inspire12

When is your financial year end? You may find it easier to start all your transactions from the first day of the new year, and use a trial balance to bring everything else up to speed.

Are all your invoices in QuickFile currently marked as unpaid? I’d have to double check something with a colleague about this (not to give you the wrong advice!)

Which system is that?

You need to first decide on a date to fully migrate (accounting year-end is always a good point), then export a trial balance from your old system set to that date and bring that into QF using the trial balance import tool.

As you’re already invoicing in QF, you’ll then need to adjust for any debtor balances at for any open invoices you had at the year end.

It’s mostly a bookkeeping job, the ease of which depends on your experience, setting up is always the hardest part. However we do have a panel of accountants and bookkeepers that we can defer you to should you need assistance.

Thanks …My Financial year end is 31.3.2014 . The invoices in Quickfile have been marked as paid.

Quickbooks premium accounting edition. Thanks

Hi @Inspire12

I would suggest waiting until 1st April 2016 to import everything if your year end is 31st March. That way it can be a complete switch over (and hopefully smoothly), and help avoid confusion. Although, you don’t need to wait until then if you wish, you just need to decide on a date for the switch over.

At that point, you would need to import a trial balance from Quick Books:

And as @Glenn suggested above, adjust the balance of the debtors to account for any invoices raised in Quick File.

If you need help setting up, it may be worth having a chat to an accountant. If you don’t have one of your own, you can send an email via your QuickFile dashboard. Look for this button (on the right hand side):

Hope that helps!

Yes it does. Much appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi,
I have entered a incorrect effective date when importing the trial balance… can I change the date?

Effective date is April 2014 , not April 2015.

Thanks

When you import a Trial Balance it effectively just creates a Journal. If you go into Reports >> Journals and drill down on the Opening Balance journal you should be able to modify the date here.

Let me know if that works.

It allows me to change the journal date which is currently showing 1.4.2013.

Would it be easier to ‘delete all journals’ and import the balance again?

You can delete the journal and re-import it, that would also work.

Ok great… thank you