Is there a way to keep the left hand side menu expanded?

Thank you so much… It is working now!!!

I can understand the benefits of the side menu going to make more room for different platforms and this will be fine as long as all menu options are available in a logical place. i.e. Currently “View Purchase Orders” does not appear under the Purchase drop down and “Projects” does not make sense to come under Reports? It would make sense to appear under both Sales and Purchases as that is where they are used. But that’s just my way of looking at it and all things make sense when you get used to where they are.

One feature which used to be there but disappeared a while ago is for the drop down menu headers to actually link as a default to the main selection i.e. one click on Purchases would link to Show All Purchases. It removes a click for the most commonly used actions.Really useful

Cheers

Nick

Still working for me.

This isn’t something that’s been removed and should work as normal. May be worth starting a new thread on this we’ll try and see what’s going on.

I think I know what’s going on here. Are you using a touch screen device? Because we actually check for touch displays (e.g. mobile devices, tablets, some laptops) and disable the one click action. The reason we do this is to make the menu accessible for tap gestures, without this override it’s impossible to open the menu by tapping it.

You’ve got it. Using a touch screen laptop. Any way to override this as I rarely use the touch screen and definitely not for QuickFile?

Which browser are you using? Here’s how to disable touch on Chrome.

1 Like

Worked great, thanks

1 Like

Just added the script to keep left hand menu and works fine. Loved that this option is available.
As many have said, I have plenty of space to be able to have it open all the time.

1 Like

I would also like the menu back please - it was very handy, and it is a bit annyoing now having to click everytime to expand the menu - i have now inserted the code - and hoep this keeps it there permenantly - thank you

Hi Guys,

Can I just add my view as well to the crowd…

I would also like the side menu’s restoring as it takes a longer to do some tasks without it.

I realise this was done for mobile devices but apart from the current fashion, we all know touch screen/mobile devices are great for reading/decent for browsing but for actually entering data you cannot beat a PC/Laptop/Mac and all these devices have a screen which is wider than it is tall.

Fashion is for clothing not for OS’s and applications!

Hi @CaptainNick

Thank you for your feedback.

If you have a Power User Subscription, have you tried the CSS code @Glenn posted above? This would keep the left hand menu expanded and would save you having to expand it every time. If you need help with this, please let me know.

It’s not about what’s fashionable. I’d rather we were making decisions based on user analytics, rather than industry trends. In this case just under 11% of dashboard hits were served to mobile/tablet devices in the last year, an increase of ~1% on the year previous.

I would suspect a decent number of those on mobile devices are logging in to retrieve information rather than actually working on their accounts. Either way there remains a case to make some of the key areas in QuickFile more mobile responsive. Obviously this shouldn’t be done to the detriment of regular desktop users and in fact the left hand menu was collapsed primarily because it was duplicating options in the top menu.

As mentioned already, we plan to re-purpose the left hand menu to display customisable quick links, when this is done we will either make it responsive or provide an account level option to control the visibility. In the mean time the CSS fix should work just fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the response chaps! :slight_smile:

I have an Affinity subscription so does that mean that I don’t get the CSS option?

Having an account level option along with configurable links is definitely the way to go as I am very much in favour of choice and the platform benefits the more functional/configurable it is.

Quick update here…

We have started work on the new “Quick Links” system. Once this has been implemented the appearance of the left hand menu will be responsive, i.e. if your screen is big enough we’ll show it by default, otherwise it will be collapsed.

OK so following on from this discussion, you may have now noticed that we’ve just updated the left hand menu to be fully customisable. You can now add your own links to internal QuickFile pages and 3rd party websites. Each team member for a single account will have the option to create their own menu system.

In regards to the original question about keeping the menu open on larger displays, although we haven’t introduced an account level setting for this, the menu visibility is now responsive. The menu will automatically show where there is sufficient horizontal space, for smaller viewports it will be hidden with a toggle to make it visible.

Any feedback is welcome, for help using the new menu we’ve produced a short guide here.

Menu good!

In the KB article I would maybe mention how to create some more useful/advanced links, like e.g. to create a link to create an invoice for a particular client use https://dashboard.quickfile.co.uk/sales/create?clientID=xxxxxx, or maybe even add some of these options to the menu option creation menu, so pick a function and then pick a client from some dropdowns and then you get a menu option doing the thing selected.

1 Like

This might be a silly question, but how does one now find the document manager? The receipt hub is in the purchases drop-down menu, and I always used to get to the document manager via the left-hand vertical menu on the receipt hub page, but that has now gone. Any ideas?

Document manager can now be found under Account Settings > Tools

1 Like

I have a MacBook Pro and I’ve noticed that when I am using the laptop on its own built-in screen the left hand menu is visible by default, but when I plug in to an external monitor without changing the window size the menu is hidden. This suggests that the responsiveness isn’t taking into account the display DPI - the internal screen is a HiDPI (“retina”) display at 144 pixels per inch but the external one is the normal 72ppi, so the same visible size of window is reported as twice the number of pixels in each direction on one compared to the other.