Is there a way to keep the left hand side menu expanded?

Hi @RGCreative

Thank you for your feedback.

If you have a power user subscription, you can restore the fixed menu on your account using the CSS @Glenn posted above. If you need help adding this to your account, please let me know.

I donā€™t have a power user subscription, and I feel that requiring one in order to restore the previous level of usability looks a bit shabby. Be honest, there are not many positive responses to the change. If everyone is going to be inserting the CSS what was the point? Gain extra power users? It doesnā€™t come across very well.

We did receive positive responses when we originally proposed the change over 1 month ago, you can read them here. Which part of the system are you struggling to access now the left hand menu is collapsed?

I have now implemented the custom CSS change an it works well, so I am happy with this work around. I too did not see the announcement, unfortunately, I am too busy working to be checking all the providers forums etc for any upcoming changes. Maybe you could add a news feed to the dashboard somewhere for changes or announcements as I am in quickfile almost every day?

Iā€™m not struggling. Iā€™m finding it uncomfortable to use the system because the menu options are across the top and not down the side. Iā€™m a designer. I recognise that people have their eyes side by side not one above the other, so horizontally placed objects are more logical - more easily referred to and used - and Iā€™ve already informed you that my own stats prove that 80% of people prefer sidebar menus when both top and side are available.

Thereā€™s a vast difference between a sidebar menu that extends vertically when used, and a dropdown top menu that obscures what is below it. Undeniable.

The dropdowns open one at a time and then close. Sidebar options that stay open are more usable and friendly.

The responses you get when something is real rather than proposed are the ones that count. People very often find it difficult to imagine the downside of a change in advance. Iā€™ve lost count of the number of times a client asked for a layout change themselves, and then immediately hated it when they saw it in practice. Iā€™m sure you know that it happens.

What is the problem with leaving the sidebar menu for desktops and making it optional to close it?

Giving the choice satisfies everyone. Forcing everyone into one path divides them into ā€œacceptingā€ and ā€œirritatedā€. Iā€™m the latter, and Iā€™ve had not a single complaint about the Quickfile system until this happened.

Very few systems of this nature have a top and vertical menu, least of all a vertical menu that duplicates the options in the top menu. All key areas in the system can still be access by clicking the main horizontal menu headers.

Sales >> View all sales
Purchases >> View all purchase
Bank >> View all bank accounts

Logically there was no good reason to keep that left hand menu expanded in itā€™s current form. That said we are planning to eventually replace that menu with a set of customisable ā€œQuick Linksā€, when this is implemented weā€™ll either use a responsive layout to keep it visible on larger viewports or provide some kind of option to persist itā€™s visibility.

I just donā€™t think, for the first time ever, that youā€™re listening to what Iā€™m expressing!

Very few systems of this nature have a top and vertical menu

Agreed, it was a stand-out unique useful feature. In good design, the left menu stays conveniently visible with all the sub-options for the area of the site that is currently in use. The top dropdown menu navigates quickly to specific areas of the site and is less frequently used - but the dropdown menu might also reflect options in the left menu, theyā€™re just hidden behind an extra button clickā€¦ and that extra click can be annoying, hence the sidebar menu staying open.

You canā€™t argue that having to navigate both horizontally AND vertically isnā€™t irritating. It is. Simple ergonomics. I used to log in and instantly click the vertical menu option I wanted. With a horizontal menu I have to point horizontally at the right dropdown (requires me to remember which one my desired option is on), and then change direction and accurately slide the pointer vertically down it to click on the option I want. again. Of course, it might be easier on a touchscreen - but I choose not to use a tablet or phone for invoicing because itā€™s far too slow. I like a proper keyboard to type on, call me old-fashioned.

Too many websites are mobile optimised at the expense of desktop usability. Its a trap I wish you would avoid falling into.

Itā€™s a great system, :grinning: but its a pity you made this irritating change. :disappointed:

Hi Glenn,

Can we Fix left side menu bar like how it was before, it disappears in new features?? It is very annoying to click it every time I want to select something else from the list.

Thx

Hi @kuntal

Please see @Glennā€™s post above.

If you need help adding this, please let me know

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I could not find Advanced Customisation Area and what code should I put there, please guide?

Thanks
Kuntal

Hi @kuntal

This can be found under Account Settings > Design Customisation > Advanced CSS & HTML Customisation > Global CSS

Weā€™ve just added the code to 2 accounts we found in your name. You may need to log out and back in for it to take effect

Thank you so muchā€¦ It is working now!!!

I can understand the benefits of the side menu going to make more room for different platforms and this will be fine as long as all menu options are available in a logical place. i.e. Currently ā€œView Purchase Ordersā€ does not appear under the Purchase drop down and ā€œProjectsā€ does not make sense to come under Reports? It would make sense to appear under both Sales and Purchases as that is where they are used. But thatā€™s just my way of looking at it and all things make sense when you get used to where they are.

One feature which used to be there but disappeared a while ago is for the drop down menu headers to actually link as a default to the main selection i.e. one click on Purchases would link to Show All Purchases. It removes a click for the most commonly used actions.Really useful

Cheers

Nick

Still working for me.

This isnā€™t something thatā€™s been removed and should work as normal. May be worth starting a new thread on this weā€™ll try and see whatā€™s going on.

I think I know whatā€™s going on here. Are you using a touch screen device? Because we actually check for touch displays (e.g. mobile devices, tablets, some laptops) and disable the one click action. The reason we do this is to make the menu accessible for tap gestures, without this override itā€™s impossible to open the menu by tapping it.

Youā€™ve got it. Using a touch screen laptop. Any way to override this as I rarely use the touch screen and definitely not for QuickFile?

Which browser are you using? Hereā€™s how to disable touch on Chrome.

1 Like

Worked great, thanks

1 Like

Just added the script to keep left hand menu and works fine. Loved that this option is available.
As many have said, I have plenty of space to be able to have it open all the time.

1 Like