Late entry for VAT invoice

I just want some help with a theoretical scenario about VAT returns and QuickFile. If I completed a VAT return on quickfile and had submitted it to HMRC, but a week or so later realized that I had not accounted for an invoice that would have affected the amount paid in the last VAT period. If I then input this invoice, what happens to my VAT, will it just automatically be adjusted for my next VAT return for the next VAT period.

So to be clear, I complete a VAT return for JANUARY to MARCH, and then in April I input an invoice dated for March that should have already been input before the VAT return was submitted, what will happen when I come to submit my APRIL to JUNE VAT return, because when I tell it the period to look at in QuickFile to take the data from for the next return I would be entering April to June, so the invoice that I entered late for March would not be included would it?

What is the correct way to handle this scenario?

In this scenario QuickFile will automatically include the new invoices in your next return, you don’t need to take any special steps to make this happen. Basically a VAT return will include all invoices from your “VAT start date” in your account settings up to the end of the return period that have not already been included in a previous return.

KB reference

1 Like

So to confirm even if in this scenario I set the date rage on the QuickFile VAT return screen to APRIL to JUNE, it would still automatically include the VAT calculation from the invoice entered late in April that is dared in March?

That is correct. As per the KB article linked to above by @ian_roberts.

Thank you for all your help and confirmation.