Massive debt on PayPal account - real account is usually zero!

I’m importing a .CSV from PayPal (downloaded the .CSV directly from PayPal) to an empty PayPal Merchant Account.

When it’s first run, there is a £16k balance in the negative, despite the actual account being emptied to zero on a near daily basis.

There are multiple duplicates of transactions (Money Out), lots of them are easy enough to spot, and so deleting these would be easy enough… But…
There are also some transactions that are tipping the balance that make no sense at all… Finding these is very difficult as they are mixed in with multiple transactions for that day.

I can’t trace where these accumulative errors are starting from, or figure out how I might be able to solve this myself…

If anyone out there has had a similar issue, please get in touch!
None of the other threads seem to offer the right solution for the mixed transactions

One example for the small accumulative errors is;
6 different transactions on the IMPORTED CSV that equal the difference of the balance (if deleted it would equal the actual paypal balance that should be there)
NONE of those 6 transactions appear on the actual PAYPAL summary (the paypal website summary)
Re-downloading a .CSV doesn’t fix the issue.

How are these transactions missing from the PAYPAL summary, and yet finding their way into the .CSV (The transactions are often from sources that have had previous transactions, and not just random numbers and garbage data)

Hi @SKYDIVENOW

Obviously, I can’t comment on the formatting of the PayPal CSV files (although you may wish to contact them about this), but I will certainly try to help you untangle this situation.

Firstly, I’m not sure how you’re obtaining the CSV file, but generally I advise of the following steps:

1. Log into PayPal and select ‘More’ on the right hand side:

2. On the right hand side, select ‘Download’

3. Enter your date range, and ensure you’ve selected “CSV” as the file type, and “Balance Affecting” as the “Transaction Type”:

4. And lastly, click ‘Create Report’

This will generate a CSV file. You may need to wait for it to generate - it depends on how much data is on your PayPal account.

Secondly, you import this as normal (go to the bank management screen and click the import option for the PayPal account), and it should import just the transactions that affect your balance. What I suspect may have happened with your import is perhaps you have holds showing (which can be deleted), and perhaps other transactions too which would affect the overall balance.

I have however just downloaded a sample CSV file from a PayPal account, and uploaded this all fine without issue.

If you have already done the above, but still not getting anywhere, it may be worth contacting PayPal about the content of their CSV file to see if they could shed some light on it for you.

Managed to get most of that done, but had to manually process the entire PayPal from 2014.
Ended up with a tiny percentage out that I think is a mix of fees being missed and currency exchange rates not being converted or used correctly.

Had to delete the entire PayPal history in order to process this without making it worse, knock on effect - it has now utterly destroyed the debit account that links the transactions to PayPal

Now have to consider emptying the entire debit account of all transactions and starting all over again from 2014 as I can’t see any way to fix this.

Account is;6131479981
I would appreciate an admin member taking a quick look, as I’m about to abandon the project.

Hi @SKYDIVENOW

As I mentioned above, if there are transactions that you believe are there in error or are duplicated, the issue would be that PayPal are adding them to the CSV file, so it may be worth contacting them about this.

While I’m happy to take a look for you and ensure everything is working correctly in terms of QuickFile, I’m not able to help with bookkeeping or accounting directly. We do however have a panel who may be able to help, and can be reached through this option on your dashboard: