Self Bill & VAT query

Hi, I’m new to Quickfile (and also accounting generally!) and have a couple of queries that I hope someone can help me with.

1. I am doing some contract work and my customer has set up a self billing arrangement (with my agreement) so they are raising invoices on my behalf. Do I still need to raise an invoice in Quickfile, for the same amount in order to tag the payment, but just not send it to the customer, or deal with it in some other way?

2. The first invoice they raised didn’t include the VAT and there was therefore a balancing VAT amount included on the second invoice. If I just raise an invoice as per query 1 above then the VAT attributable per invoice will not be correct although the total amount of VAT across the 2 invoices will be correct if that makes sense!?!? How should this be accounted for “correctly”?

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Cheers
Matt

1. Yes you would have your own mirrored invoice within Quick File. You don’t need to send the invoice, there is an option to simply “Update as Sent”. You can then add a payment to this invoice later when you are actually paid.

2. You can enter the initial invoice with no VAT to start with. The second invoice would then look something like this. The NET effect on this example is £40 VAT on a £100 invoice.

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for this. Worked perfectly.
Cheers
Matt

1 Like