Smtp settings - 5.5.1 Authentication Required

Are you using Google Apps or Gmail to host your email? I can see you have a gmail address as the login email.

Gmail settings should be as follows:

Host name: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Email login: youremail@gmail.com
Use SSL should also be checked

Glen
This is what comes backWe had a problem communicating with your Mail Server
Error: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
Please check your SMTP settings.

So you are using GMail…

This may help? Have you had any suspicious login attempt messages appear in Google?

Yes I did get one a while ago but it didnt look like that! I will see if I can find it

This is it

Hi Truro,

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account truroboatservices@gmail.com. This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:50:34 PM UTC
IP Address: 80.175.65.138 (QuickFile.co.uk.)

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

Reset password

If this was you, and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login

Sincerely,
The Google Accounts team
This email can’t receive replies. For more information, visit the Google Accounts Help Center.
If truroboatservices@gmail.com isn’t your Google Account, click here to disconnect your email address from this account.

1 Like

Did anyone get past this as i get the same if i try to use Gmail settings to send from Quickfile

Unfortunately no I gave up in the end!

Hi,

I use Google Apps to send emails from Quick file, without any problems.

Firstly, the email address you wish to use, needs to be in the ‘Default Email Address’ box on the Routine Emails page (under settings, at the bottom).

Secondly, you need to enable SMTP access (Account Settings > 3rd Party Integration > SMTP)
Use the server: smtp.gmail.com
Username: Email address
Password: Same as you use for Google Mail
Enable SSL

Mine works now, and had no issues since day 1 if I’m honest

I would take a look at the Stack Overflow post, we have several hundred GMail accounts connecting to Quick File now. I’m pretty certain it’s a temporary block (possibly when you have 2-factor authentication enabled in Google). You should be able to unblock it somewhere in GMail.

Thank you but I dont really operatevat your level of understanding. If its not simple it wont happen!

@mike_treglown I’ll PM you, I have a few ideas.

I have sorted it.

Besides making sure my default mail was there and using the SMTP settings inc port 25.

It finally worked after clicking on the following google link

https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I’m sure others will encounter similar problems so it’s useful to document.

This still works, thanks for the solution.

Sorry I know that this is an old thread but out of curiosity, where did you find that link?

Hi

Still unable to resolve. The persistent error is -The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. - I now know none of my thank you messages or the message accompanying an invouce have got through and i am clearly missing vital communication with customers which I thought they were receiving. Before I get someone in to resolve this does anyone have any other solutions, that I would understand, that have worked? I would be most grateful!!

Are you still using the gmail account?

Your SMTP settings aren’t and appear never to have been verified so QF wouldn’t attempt to send anything using them, we would send through our own mail servers, so it’s likely no emails were missed.

Looking at the settings it appears you are trying to send on port 25 but it should be port 587 for GMail.

Thanks Glen. 587 gives the same error. I have impersonated a number of customers and cant see any messages from me. Any other suggestions would be very welcome

What do you mean by this? The emails wouldn’t appear in the messages section of your client control panel.

I see around 150 accounts on QuickFile that are routing through smtp.gmail.com some are on port 25, some on 587. All these accounts are successfully verified, i.e they were able to obtain the verification link and activate.

The only other thing is if Gmail are blocking this for security reasons, in which case it should be possible to unblock from here: