Splitting business receipt and tagging it

Is there way to add notes to a purchase receipt ?

Problem i have is i am still inputting 100’s receipts manually, a lot need to be split.

I have a receipt that has 6 items on that was paid with business card as had left personal at home, item 1 is for business the other 5 are personal and i will transfer the difference back, but the issue is when inputting receipts i need to tag them manually later on, i cant put personal items through the business, so the purchase can only show the amount for item 1, but there is no way of adding a note that i can see on the bank tagging screen to match the correct payment to this receipt ?

and now that i think about it i am even more unsure as to how i would apply the payment from business bank for the full amount to the receipt since it will be higher than the receipt value,

Any ideas?

receipt goes like

Line 1) business item £6.00
Line 2) Personal item £1.00
Line 3) Personal item £1.00
Line 4) Personal item £0.99
Line 5) Personal item £1.00
Line 6) Personal item £1.00

Total for business on receipt £6.00
Total Personal on this receipt £.499

Bank payment will be £10.99
If i apply the £10.99 to the £6.00 receipt, i assume the £4.99 goes on account for the supplier, which isnt right as i will be transferring this back for the DL Account

If you tag the receipt as a £6.00 purchase then tag the bank entry as £6.00 against the purchase and the remainder as drawings this should all tally up.

Are you posting all these line items to unique nominals? If not you’re creating a lot of extra work here.

Listing all the items you bought personally seems convoluted as it’s really not relevant to your LTD company. It would be simpler just to lump the £4.99 under a single entry.

Also it’s best to try and avoid mixing in personal expenses with a LTD company as it does create a bit of an accounting headache. I appreciate however that may not solve the problem at hand.

still a bit unclear, as i have input the receipt just for the £6.00 (business) then gone to the tagging screen and found the original transaction (£10.99) clicked payment to supplier and “pay down multiple invoices” however it only gives me receipts 3months prior to the actual receipt date is this correct ? (see screen shot below)

I know mixing personal and LTD purchases isnt good, however quite often as i travel alot it can be an issue, e.g. forgot business card, and other such problems, while they aint in the hundreds, i do have quite a few from time to time.

Glenn as to your reply, unsure what you mean ?

I haven’t added separate entries for the personal items, as i didnt think i could as they dont relate to the business, i was just after a simple way to input the £6.00 receipt account for the £10.99 payment out of the business bank and transfer the £4.99 back from the DL account to get the balances to tally up.

I can only assume i would have to delete the original £10.99 payment from bank add a new one for the receipt total of £6.00 and the transfer the £4.99 from the DL account to the business to get the balance to tally, is this correct ?

While a bit of messing and easy to create the transaction with the wrong amount in the wrong account, this seems to be the fastest way for me to solve this at the min.

So basically i am copying the transaction details and creating a new bank transaction all same details except the amount for business, deleting the original transaction tagging the receipt and then in the DL account i am creating a new transaction out for the remainder of the payment and tagging this as a transfer to the business account, this should tally the balances up and my personal purchases are kept out of the business records.

If i am going wrong with this please let me know.

I though you were creating single purchase invoices with multiple lines? It seems I’m on the wrong track here.

No it just shows the last 20 unpaid invoices, there’s no specific date restriction. Anything falling outside that range would need to have it’s payment logged from the invoice preview screen, you’d then delete the duplicate untagged entry on the bank.

There’s a discussion here that proposes an extension to the 20 invoice limit. We would consider this if it becomes more widely requested.

I have given this request my vote as it would partially help with my issue of only seeing the last 20, although it would be better if this could work in a similar way as to the normal tagging i.e. being able to apply it to invoices with in a date range applicable to the payment date, since as you see in the above image, i haven’t tagged the payments 3 months prior yet, so the available payment i get are all 3 months before the payment, this doesn’t make sense, and since deleting payments doesn’t actually fully delete them, and i am manually inputting tagging, i don’t want to tag the prior receipts just yet till I’m sure i have all for that supplier and month input as some have the same amount and dates, e.g. 2 receipts same supplier and within same day/week or month that are both valid receipts.

This seems long winded and prone to human error, and with 100’s or even 1000’s receipts in my case very hard and confusing, i manually enter and tag receipts using imported statements as i have multi line receipts and also it helps find any receipts/payments that i have paperwork missing for, since the business is run by only two of us, all receipts and paperwork gets boxed or stuffed into draws, car/van glove box and other undesireable places until the time when the massive task of inputting cant be put off any longer lol

I’ve not seen many cases where there are 100s of unpaid invoices against a supplier, I would imagine this is going to present some problems in that particular screen. Looking into this a bit further, what it’s doing is listing 20 invoices in ascending date order (starting with the oldest for that particular supplier). Typically for day-to-day bookkeeping you’d be assigning the payment to the earliest unpaid invoice (that was the intended use-case). Although your situation is a a bit different as you’re completing a large chunk of bookkeeping by volume invoice creation, followed by tagging.

If however your bank payments exactly match your invoices there’s absolutely no need to go into that screen as the match should appear as soon as you click “Payment to a supplier”, you may need to change the range but it should be a one click match in most cases.

For instances where you have a single payment spanning multiple invoices or a payment that is less that it’s target invoice, that’s when this screen would come in useful. It may be that we will add a “show more” button here to expand the list. If that’s something that would work for you I will put it forward to the development team?

Yes that would work, and it wouldst constantly use the server resources by users, as it would be on a case by case use, i.e. the call would only be made if the user clicks the “show more”.

I have one other pain, due to volume tagging

the majority of business purposes in my case is about 90% debit/credit card transactions

i like the search feature, up until the problem being that the default is set to 1month from receipt.

this is ok if all your transactions are invoices that are paid at least a month after.

Ideally the default search range would be “3 days” as this is that normal time a card transaction take to process and hit the bank, with the option to extend the search range more if needed, also with a short search range by default and returning fewer results initially, would this also not reduce load on your server(s) ? (just a thought)

generally i get 4 - 15 ish results returned, but when i change to “3 day” i get 1-3 which 99% gets the right payment except where there have been bank holidays

and generally i am making the server perform an extra search for each tagging when its not needed, and i suppose if you were to multiply that by the users who tag transactions the figure would grow large and we a waste of CPU time and database calls/queries

I’ve added this to our planning system. It should get implemented within 2 weeks.

In most cases this would be normal as 1 month is the typical invoicing term. Having a configurable default for the range is not a request I’ve heard before but we can look at this if it receives support from other users. It’s best however to post different request on their own threads so other users can easily find and up vote them.

Just to let you know, this has been added well ahead of schedule. I posted a screenshot on the thread below:

http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/pay-down-more-than-20-invoices-from-the-bank/3687/10

1 Like

WOW, talk about fast implementation, one certainly cant complain at the speed useful suggestions or requests are implemented.

Cheers

this thread can be locked now if you wish as i think it has dealt with the original question (and more)

1 Like