Transfer entries with a journal

Hi,

I want to transfer entries from General Purchases into 3 other (new) purchase accounts. A journal just seems to move funds, irrespective of the invoice producing it. How do I get the actual record moved?

Cheers

Gary

You can mention invoice numbers in journal as reference to keep track of audit trial.

Or go to individual invoice and in description , click on ? to get nominal drop down menu and from there pick new nominal code

Invoices create entries on the ledgers automatically. A journal is more fundamental and can be used to move balances from one nominal ledger to another. Refer to your chart of accounts for a balance of all ledgers.

Purchases nominals can be changed through categories drop down menu

Hi Faraday,

I have changed the nominals using the dropdowns so the information has been transferred completely. I still don’t get journals, they just transfer figures. What about the underlying data?

Cheers

Gary

Journals and the nominal ledgers are at the heart of the accounting system. So if you apply a journal it doesn’t change the original entries it just transfers it’s balance from one nominal code to another. So you will still see the original entries, then a journal going out of that account and into another…much like a bank transfer.

Hi Glenn,

OK, I’ll try a couple of test journal transfers.

Thanks

Gary