'Unrecognized file attachments' when emailing receipts to receipt hub

Hi, I’ve forwarded a few emails to ‘receipts@quickfile.co.uk’ and the majority went through fine but a few have not been uploaded - for those, I get an email saying ‘unrecognised file attachments’.

The thing is, there wasn’t an attachment in the first place. Also, I thought even if the attachment was disregarded, the email content would still be uploaded?

If it helps, the email receipts were from Uber.

Thanks

Hi @titaniumapple

I’ve just had a look at this for you. The emails actually contained an attachment for the map, except there wasn’t a file extension specified. The receipt hub will look for attachments first, and then content. If the attachment fails, then it stops processing and returns an error.

Can you forward the email again please an ensure no attachments are present? If possible, PDF the email itself and send that in as an attachment on it’s own as this would resolve the issue.

Thanks, I’ve re-sent the email but couldn’t delete an attachment because Gmail says there’s nothing attached. Isn’t the map HTML?

I’ve got hundreds of Uber receipts so to go through and save each one as a .PDF would be a colossal time-killer.

Thanks

The map is showing as a PNG type attachment, but is missing the file format (.png on the end), which is why our receipt hub is skipping over it.

I can refer this to our development team to take a closer look, but I don’t believe there is much that can be done here because of the way the receipt hub works (look for attachments first).

Thanks, yes please refer to the development team because Uber is quite a popular service and if it’s not working then that’s a lot of lost time spent creating separate .PDFs

What email client are you using? I can see from our logs that other users have sent in Uber related emails without any issues previously, so I’m wondering if this is something that your email client may be doing as it’s be sent?

I’m using Gmail, which client would you recommend?

Gmail should be fine. Are you able to remove the map before you forward the email please? We believe that this is an actual attachment but Gmail isn’t showing it as such because it’s in the body of the email itself. Deleting the map should resolve it.

[Edit]
Uber can also provide you with a PDF copy of your trip details. If it’s not convenient to email these, you can also use Dropbox to pull invoices into your account.

There’s instructions on how to get a PDF copy of your trip here:

Thanks, it’s much quicker/easier for me to use Gmail and ‘Print’ and save as a .PDF because I’ve got the emails organised by month there.

I’ve tried deleting the map inside the email before Forwarding, if it doesn’t work I’ll let you know.

Thanks

Ok deleting the map before Forwarding the email worked! Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hi @titaniumapple

Just wanted to let you know that we’ve released a small update which will now ignore the attachment if the file extension is not specified. In this case, it will just pull in the content of the email.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

That’s great, thanks! Saves me a lot of trouble creating .PDFs!

1 Like

Hi, I just tried sending a load of Uber receipts through and it’s still rejecting them with ‘Unrecognised…’

Thanks

Hi @titaniumapple

We haven’t changed anything here, so I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you.

I’ve referred this to our development team and will update you shortly.

1 Like

I’m also getting this issue. If the attachments are unrecognised, can it just take the body of the email as the receipt?

Hi @cjdshaw

Although this would be possible, I think it may cause a bit of confusion where there’s an unsupported format.

What kind of files are you trying to send in?

They’re Uber receipts and Addison Lee receipts. I know I could convert them to PDFs, but it’s much quicker to just hit Forward on my phone when they come in

The Uber attachments are maps with no extensions, as discussed above

The Addison Lee attachments are .ics calendar files

It’s because of the way Uber presents their emails that causes problems unfortunately.

.ics files aren’t currently supported either, so this is likely to be why this one is being rejected.

Creating a PDF of the email and sending that in would be the better way, and it preserves all the details and images of the email too. If you haven’t already, I suggest taking a look at the Dropbox integration for things like this.

Thanks. I do use the Dropbox integration, but it’s not nearly as convenient as just hitting Forward when a receipt comes in. I may try to set up an IFTTT service to convert to PDF and upload to Dropbox automatically.

If you’re worried about it being confusing for users, could I suggest a 2nd address - something like receipts_emailbody@quickfile.co.uk which bypasses the attachment search?

By default, if there are no attachments, we will use the email body. It’s just the way the emails are presented to us, specifically noticeable from Uber for example.

We haven’t had a suggestion for a different email address as of yet, but you’re welcome to post your suggestion in the #feature category and we can monitor the interest in this before taking a further look.