VAT De-registration - Final Return

Screen shot to confirm the periods

No I don’t believe this can be the problem, as we only send a period ID, in your case 2015-08, we do not send a start date to HMRC. Instead they lookup the period ID and determine what the actual date range should be.

What they’re saying is they didn’t expect a period ID of 2015-08 but something else. If you speak to HMRC again ask them exactly what period ID they expect to be filed next, this is the key piece of information you need.

okay, will do thanks

Its taking long to get through to HMRC. so still on the phone.

in the meantime please see these screen shots. under column period, for the final return the period is FINAL. I feel this is the period ID they are expecting. what do you think?

It may well be, I think we’d need to discuss this in more detail with HMRC. For now I have referred this to an engineer.

I don’t think we’ll get a quick resolution on this, so I would suggest pulling the figures from QF and keying them into the VAT Online gateway. Don’t forget to submit the return on QF (without submitting to HMRC) to lock down the invoices.

Thanks Glenn. Will do.
I was not able to speak to HMRC on this. Was on hold for half hour so gave up.

Hi Glenn

I have another client, who is deregistering for VAT, so was wondering if the issue of FINAL date has been resolved, or if there has been any progress on this issue.

Many thanks
Sameera

Here is the response from HMRC:

The period in the submission must relate to an open period on our records and only by the customer viewing his account online Send a VAT Return: When to do a VAT Return - GOV.UK or contacting the Online Services Helpdesk (0300 200 3600) will he know what the correct period is.

Sorry that I can’t assist any further.

So basically unless we know what that period ID should be we can’t really make any changes at our end. Perhaps you could look at the client’s online gateway and let me know what period shows for that account?

Hi Glenn, please see screenshots below. Personally i feel that its the period ID i.e. FINAL that is different from usual VAT return period IDs, and the form type is FINAL…usual VAT returns have VAT100 as form type.
If these two can be implemented in QF then the user can put in the PERIOD START DATE and PERIOD END DATE.
(see previous screenshots on this thread as well).

So in reply to HMRC’s reply to you, yes indeed - the dates for the open period can only be put in by the user. (its the FINAL period and FINAL form type that the user on QF can not enter).
These dates can be different for all users i.e. if you see this one below its actually going backwards i.e. 30th Sept - 1st Oct.

This is just my view, i don’t know how it all works in the background to develop or structure it. …

meant to include this too in my previous post. Screenshot of VAT returns submitted.

When VAT returns are submitted to HMRC over the electronic gateway we never send start or end dates (i.e. the ones specified in QF), just period IDs. HMRC then look up the range based on the ID.

I would imagine that in the case of final returns we simply set the period ID to “FINAL”. We can easily add a checkbox to the return submission form to allow users to identify final returns. I’m not sure when you need to submit this return by but it would likely take 3-5 days to get this implemented on our side.

That will be great Glenn, thanks.
I have time to submit it,s o can wait till early next week.
It will be good to test a live/actual submission :smile:

1 Like

The work is actually done, so we hope to get it live today. I will let you know when it’s ready.

We now have a check box for marking a VAT return as FINAL.

Please let me know how you get on.

1 Like

thanks Glenn, I will look at it this evening and let you know

Hi Glenn, please see message below. I am unable to hit submit on QF. (please delete my previous post as it was showing client details - sorry)

Also got this message when i tried to download the calculations.
Weird, but HMRC do issue final VAT returns with reverse dates. This one is. See previous screenshots to check. Is there anyway we can remove this restriction as well?

How can you have a VAT return start date that is after the end date? It doesn’t make sense.

see screenshot below!

That’s bizarre, but nothing surprises me with HMRC.

It doesn’t really make any difference, as I mentioned before we don’t send dates to HMRC only period IDs. You should enter into QF the actual date range of the final VAT return period.