VAT submission not received by HMRC

I have received a letter from HMRC to say a VAT return submitted via QF has not been received.

QF shows submission made on 29 September. How do I know if it was ever sent?

What does it say if you look at your HMRC portal/account?

I see the return you’re referring to on account ending 715. Looking at the event log the VAT return was sent before the VAT credentials were added. In general if a VAT return was sent electronically to HMRC you will see a HMRC response appended to the VAT return detail screen along with a correlation ID, you will also get an email confirmation.

Hi my client has come back and has told me that hmrc say they never got the vat return but i submitted it on 26.07.2016 at 23.42 i think could you tell me if it did go through if not why not account number is 6131470312 spencer sport club.Thanks.

Hi @jhanks1170

This return was not submitted via QuickFile to HMRC. If you go into the return themselves, any that have been submitted will show an ID at the top, such as this:

A trace is also left in the event log, like this. This is just an example, but the top record has not been submitted to HMRC, whereas the second one has:

There’s nothing suggesting HMRC rejected it, so it could be the case that the “file electronically with HMRC” box was unticked on this occasion.