Website Outage - 19th October

If anyone is having issues accessing QuickFile, hopefully this will help clear it up a bit.

To protect the service provided, we moved them behind the cloudflare network. In order to do this, we had to update what’s known as the DNS settings. DNS, or ‘Domain Name Server’ settings tells your computer where our website lives.

It translates ‘www.quickfile.co.uk’ into a number (known as an IP Address) which is linked to our website (along the lines of 127.0.0.1). However, because of the way the internet works, this IP address is stored for a period of anywhere from 1 hour upwards.

When you request access to www.quickfile.co.uk, it tries to load the site from whatever IP it has on record. In some cases, this is the old IP address, and therefore access will be rejected until your computer or internet provider updates their records.

In some cases, you may experience intermittent access. This is likely to because when your internet provider tries to access our server, it can use one of many different routes around the internet. Some routes may have the old IP address, and some may have the new one. If that specific route uses the new one, then it will work. If it’s the old one, it won’t connect.

If you have several accounts, your computer/device and internet provider will store the IP address for each one separately. The above would apply to these individually.

Our systems are online, and accessible, but this can vary from user to user, because of the above. It depends on your computer or device, your internet provider, and other various factors.

I hope that’s clear, and understandable.

1 Like

When will the paypal feeds be up and running again, I keep getting an error when I try and force the feed to update.

I am able to access accounts for one client but not the other although I am using the same computer, internet connection etc. for both. I have flushed my DNS but that hasn’t helped either. I understand all of what you have explained however I would expect it to work for either neither or both?

Hi @Nicky_Marshall

When you say accounts for clients, do you mean 2 separate QuickFile accounts, or the ‘impersonate’ option on the client screen?

I have two separate accounts

That could be why. I’ll send you a message to get a few details now.

Hi when you get a moment if you can help with me logging in to I would be grateful. Thanks.

I have two accounts, both operated from same computer. One is working, one is not. The one I need today is , of course, the non working one. Any ideas? Are you still sticking to all will be well by 4pm statement?

@marksenior - access has been restored on our end. We can’t guarantee you’ll be able to access your account by 4pm as it relies on a number of factors, including your own computer and internet provider. There’s more info above about why this may be the case.

Hi JB,

I sent a couple of emails earlier and know that they have been received by the clients. However, I just resent one because the client had accidentally deleted it his end and it is showing up as ‘New’ from being sent 10 minutes ago. It make take a bit longer for it to be processed.

Can you try now please?

Hi
ive managed to get back on but now it wont let me import my bank feeds to update my accounts is there an issue with this also?

Is this a Barclays feed, an import (e.g. CSV), or an import from the chrome plug in?

its natwest feed
it logs me in fine but when it comes to importing it says server not found

I’ve read your note and it is clear and understandable but doesn’t help me use Quickfile. I’ve tried the flush dns but still no success on the account I need to use. What advise can you offer?

@QFMathew I managed to get access, however when I tried to do something (in this case create a new client) I got over the same error “Problem loading page - The connection has timed out”.

Before that I have cleared all the cache and flushed DNS too.

Anything else I could try?

Thank you

Any ideas of when the website will be up and running??

I seem to be fully functional again. Many thanks

@marksenior - It’s likely to be either your router or internet provider that are holding an old IP address for our server. If you have a bit of technical know-how, then you could try switching to the Google public DNS servers. Do a quick Google search for this - there are quite a few guides out there.

@OvidiuS - This is probably caused by the routing of your access by your internet provider. There’s more information on this in my post above.

@nathan882 - I’ve merged your post with this topic to keep it all in one place. Please see the updates above, specifically this post which may explain why you can’t access the service.

@Trish_Glover - Glad to hear you’re in! :slight_smile:

@Triton - It’s likely to be related to the DNS pointing to the new server, as it uses a slightly different route than to your account directly. It should work in due course.

I have flushed the DNS and still cannot access my account.
I really need to invoice my clients - please advice.
I know that the forum mentions something about our providers holding the wrong address but how long does it normally take for these to refresh?