Allocating one payment from 2 clients

Good morning.

I recently sent invoices out - 2 of my customers are father and daughter and the daughter has paid both invoices in 1 payment (£400)
I tagged her invoice but now it says she has £200 in unallocated payments,
How do I allocate this payment to her father’s invoice please?
Many thanks
Alison

QuickFile doesn’t let you split one “payment from a customer” across two different customers, there’s two possible workarounds:

• delete the original £400 money in transaction and manually create two £200 transactions in its place, which you can then tag to the two invoices, or
  • mark the two invoices individually as “paid” into a different bank account such as drawings/director loan and then tag the £400 as a transfer from the same account to balance it out.

Thanks.
I wondered if I deleted her fathers invoice, then created another on for the daughter, would that work aswell?
Alison

It would, if that’s an option - you don’t have to actually delete the father’s one, you can modify it and change the client. Once the invoice and the prepayment credit belong to the same client you can “log payment” and “apply from credit” to mark it paid.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t do this, unless your client is actually the daughter rather than her father. You should show the amounts due from each of your customers, no matter who paid the invoice.

I would go with the second suggestion and use an intermediate account instead.

Thank you, all sorted now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.