Bad debts showing in Debtor account

When an invoice is marked as bad debt, I had expected it to no longer show on the debtors control account, or the aged debtors listing, but they still do. I am missing something?

• I have marked them as bad debt in the time frame that I am looking at the reports for , just in case you wondered :slight_smile:

When you update an invoice as BAD DEBT it will at this point reverse the debtor control account.

So for example if you have a £100 sales invoice raised on 1st January 2014 and then mark this invoice as bad debt on 1st January 2015 (1 year later), right up until 1st January 2015 it will show on the debtor account, so if you run your balance sheet for 31st March 2014 that debt will still show, i.e. it was outstanding at this time.

Thanks but I know that. I have for example, an invoice which was changed to a bad debt on the 31/7/13, but is still showing up in the historical debtor list as at 31/8/13, and is still in the Debtors figure on the balance sheet as at 31/8/13.

Do you have the invoice number please?

Try invoice 2708. Thanks

It can’t be appearing in the balance sheet as there’s a reverse entry in the ledger for 31st July 2013.

If you drill down on the balance sheet to the 1100 ledger and go to page 23 the original invoice is debiting there and crediting again on page 3.

As for the historical invoice report it is still showing, this report pulls the information in a slightly different way. I’ve queried this with a developer as Bad Debt invoices should clear off that report. I will let you know when I get an answer.

Great thanks, if the historical debtors report balance agreed with the balance sheet figure at least I have a concrete place to start.

I have someone looking into this although an update will likely not be forthcoming until tomorrow. We are tracking this case so I will update you as soon as I can.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.