"Bank charges" as the default category for a customer purchase

I’m ploughing through a whole load of transactions and, surprisingly, “Bank Charges (7901)” is being shown as the 1st/default category on the “Create Invoice” modal:

Is that a bug? Otherwise, I can’t see why it would consider a 7xxx account to be a suitable category for a sales invoice.

Also, the 2nd option being shown is “Flat Rate VAT Sales Adjustment (4099)”.

Bug or not, surely the default category on the Create New Invoice page should be “General Sales (4000)”. I didn’t notice this was not the case and ended up creating loads of bank charges instead of invoices.

Some time relatively recently, if I remember rightly, QuickFile added the option of a per-client “default sales category” setting - is this something that happens for one or two specific clients or is it happening across the board? It may just be that you’ve somehow ended up with a bad setting for those clients.

1 Like

You’ve hit the nail on the head! I’ve looked at the “Default Sales Category” for all of the old customers and they’re set to “General Sales”. As for new customers, they’re set to “Bank Charges”.

With this in mind, my feedback should actually refer to the “Create New Client” page and not the “Create New Invoice” page. After all, why should should “Bank Charges” show up as a potential Sales Category and why would “General Sales” not be the default category?

(Frustratingly, I now need to trawl through hundreds (maybe thousands) of clients to find out who has dodgy default settings.)

Oh yeah, I’ve just checked the new client form and it’s doing the same for me (I hadn’t noticed because I’m a retailer logging all my sales in bulk against one client, I rarely if ever create real client records). It seems to be listing all the nominals that are enabled for use on sales invoices, in alphabetical order, but defaulting to the earliest one in the alphabet rather than a fixed “general sales”.

If I create the client via bank tagging (payment from a customer -> create new invoice -> type a client name I haven’t used before) then it does seem to still default to general sales there.

1 Like

@QFSupport to facilitate this, would you consider adding the default nominal code as an extra column to the Client_Ledger.csv in account backups?

I agree @ian_roberts that would be helpful.

@fambi - Let me send you a private message to get a few more details from you regarding this.

1 Like

I apologise, this one appeared to have slipped through our QA testing.

We’ve implented a fix to prevent this from happening going forward and we’ve identified all cases where the default client nominal was incorrectly set to 7901 and reverted the code to 4000 (general sales).

From the Chart of Accounts you can drill down into the bank charges code and then do a bulk re-code to General Sales. That’s probably the quickest way to correct any misallocated sales invoices as you can do 50 at a time here.

If you need any assistance let us know and we’ll take a look for you.

@ian_roberts yes this should now be included as part of the export and we’ll ensure that’s added shortly.

1 Like