Bank tagging credit notes - credit notes aren't being acknowledged

Hello,
I’m trying to get all of my bank entries tagged and I’ve got 6 entries that refer to a refund. I’ve entered the invoices and the credit notes. But it won’t tag them. This is the message I get and below is a copy of the credit notes.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Sara

Allocate to Purchase
No qualifying purchases could be found to refund against. Make sure the corresponding purchase has been logged before you attempt to process this refund.

Invoices with items posted to more than one nominal account will not show here and in such cases a manual credit note will need to be applied.

Credit notes showing on supplier’s account

Ref. Details Amount Status View
QF00011
Issued: 05/04/2014
£36.00 CREDITED
CN00005
Issued: 04/04/2014
£36.00 CREDIT
QF00010
Issued: 04/03/2014
£36.00 CREDITED
CN00004
Issued: 04/03/2014
£36.00 CREDIT
QF00009
Issued: 04/02/2014
£36.00 CREDITED

Recent Events	

14 Jan Sara A Credit Note of GBP 36.00 CN00005 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara Credit Note CN00005 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara A Credit Note of GBP 36.00 CN00004 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara Credit Note CN00004 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara Credit Note CN00003 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara A Credit Note of GBP 36.00 CN00003 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara A Credit Note of GBP 36.00 CN00002 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara Credit Note CN00002 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara Credit Note CN00001 has been created manually

14 Jan Sara A Credit Note of GBP 36.00 CN00001 has been created manually

Show more…

I think you’re confusing how this works.

When you bank tag a refund it doesn’t match to an existing credit note you’ve already created, it looks for fully paid invoices and it actually creates the credit note for you.

Looking at your account you have CN00005 but all this is doing is reducing the balance on #QF00011.

In fact #QF00011 was never paid to start with so there’s nothing to refund from.

Aha. I understand now. So do need to delete the credit notes and refund from the bank tag page?

How doni do that?

Thanks

Sara

Yes I would remove those credit notes, but the next question is what are you trying to refund as those original purchases weren’t paid… well at least not the one I checked (#QF00011).

I paid a direct debit to a former accountant and then we decided not to continue as they did not have start up experience. So they refunded all the payments

So in that case you should have money leaving and returning to your bank account. The money leaving your account, how was this tagged?.. if you let me know the date and amount I can check this for you and advise.

That would be amazing, thank you so much!
It’s 5 payments to Emtacs and then 5 refunds.
It starts December 2013 to April 2014

I’m getting tangled in knots

The 5 payments you made are sitting on the supplier account aren’t allocated to any invoices.

Given these are just returned payments it’s really not even necessary to record them as invoices and credit notes.

I would delete all the invoices and credit notes, detag all the payments on the bank and retag the payments and returned payments directly to the nominal code “Returned Payments”. It’s a straight in-out and will finish at zero.

You can tag directly to nominal codes by selecting “Something else not on the list” in the bank tagging pop-up.

1 Like

Done. Thanks very much.

I don’t suppose you could help with one more!

There’s a bank entry on 8.1.2014 for 406.99
It’s a paypal payment for snapterms. I’ve entered the Snapterms invoice.
I think I may have mistakenly manually paid it. I tried to delete the manual payment so I could tag it from the bank screen, but it’s not having it!
Could you tell me what i should do?

Kind regards,

Sara

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.