HOME / COMMUNITY Switch to knowledge base

Bank Tagging For Self Employed

Hopefully an easy question!
I do the paperwork for my partner who is self employed and not VAT registered, when I started in Quickfile I was tagging fuel as Payment To A Supplier which created a Purchase record.
Should I have been using the Something Else Not On This List option to tag Fuel?
Is is purely choice and should I go back and change all the tags?


Where have you got this info from? It is very rare you would use that option at all for anything.

O I was looking at the Self Employed Information and came accross this

Did you read all of it? It says to use the ‘payment to a supplier’ option and avoid using the ‘something else not on the list’ option if at all possible.

1 Like

Ahh no I didnt thank you for that, I was getting panicky as Ive just managed to get everything sorted out as it should be, saw that and thought Ive done everything wrong
Thanks for that

1 Like

With everything being said, fuel is one of the areas you need to take careful consideration for.

Fuel to a perminant place of work is not an allowable expense.

Fuel between places of work is.

If your recording fuel used to travel to work this isn’t correct.

You should be apportioning the fuel between work related and personal use.

This means that simply tagging the fuel as an expense is going to claim every part of fuel as an expense.

So you’ll need to work out how you can reduce that profit and loss expense by the amount of personal use.


It’s perfectly acceptable to tag expenditure like fuel, where you pay at the point of sale, directly to the nominal code without creating a purchase invoice, in fact it’s better this way. Purchase invoices are generally for suppliers who invoice you for you to pay at a later date. As you are not VAT-registered, the fact that QF only pulls invoices into the VAT return makes no difference.
However, as @Paul_Courtier mentioned, you can only claim fuel for business use, not personal, so you need to apportion those costs between the two. This can be done in one go at year-end, but you should really be keeping a record of business miles as this is the most accurate way of apportioning the fuel costs.
Having said that, it’s more straightforward to claim a rate per mile (45p per mile is the HMRC accepted rate) for all your business miles, and not pay the fuel bills out of the business. This then takes account of wear and tear, etc. too. If you do more than 10,000 business miles in any one tax year, though, the excess mileage can only be claimed at 25p per mile.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.