Bulk loading invoices for VAT - making corrections not allowed?

I’ve bulk-loaded 50 invoices for the current VAT period from a .csv file. The uploaded file was accepted. Having done so I realised that a few invoices had incorrect dates (going back 1-2 years). I decided to delete the whole lot and start again. I tagged all the uploaded invoices, including those with incorrect dates (by going back and searching for them) and deleted them. I corrected the .csv file and tried again. Quickfile now says that the invoice numbers have already been used and the revised .csv file isn’t being accepted. A search on invoice number for any of the supposedly-duplicate invoices does not find anything.

You cannot entirely delete invoices in QuickFile. Deleted invoices are still viewable via the “deleted” filter at the bottom of the invoice list and they retain their original numbers.

This behaviour is by design - HMRC rules require your VAT invoice numbers to form sequential series, so if you delete or cancel an invoice you have to retain a copy so you can show the unbroken sequence if you are ever inspected.

If you wanted to re-use the same invoice numbers you would have to edit each of the 50 deleted ones from the original import and change its number to something else (e.g. add a leading X or something), then you would be able to rerun the import without the numbers clashing. But I don’t know if that process can be automated other than by programming to the API.

1 Like

Thanks very much for responding - much appreciated. It turns out I can bulk undelete the deleted invoices and make the few corrections within Quickfile. My mistake was thinking it was easier to start again. All now sorted.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.