Cannot start a journal

Hi

I’m new here and have followed all the knowledge base stuff on how to create a payroll journal (I have even tried copying the example journal) but each time I get a message saying that there are errors on the form (highlighted in pink!) but there is no pink highlighting.

Any advice gratefully received.

Errors with a journal usually mean the two sides don’t balance - there has to be the same total amount in the debit and credit columns.

I wrote an alternative explanation a while back of what the payroll journal is trying to do, does this make any more sense than the KB article?

Hi @Techtivity

Just to add to what @ian_roberts has mentioned, the KB article is a full example highlighting a scenario of “what if my employee has everything?”

You wouldn’t necessarily need everything on there, but it should hopefully help.

Thanks to yourself and @ian_roberts for your speedy response. As I said, I have even tried replicating the actual KB example with no luck.

It is my first Director’s Salary (7001) and is £680 with no PAYE or NI to record. The debit and credit columns balance but I cannot post because of the ‘pink’ error fields.

Still trying!

This is a screen shot of what I am creating (note no pink! That I can see.

Does this look correct?

It does look correct, but I think perhaps the zero value lines are causing the error (they have no relevance as they have no effect on the accounts).

If you remove these, I’d imagine it would save without any issues.

In this case the zero lines are irrelevant, but in general if there were NI due then you would post that to 2210 rather than 2211 on your balance sheet - the “PAYE” code records your total liability to HMRC including tax, employers NI, employee NI, student loans, etc. etc. - basically everything that goes into your single monthly payment to HMRC.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help.

I removed the zeros and even 2211 but still throws up the error. Baffled.

Apologies, my fault with that one!

Removing the zero lines completely saves just fine :slight_smile:

So it does!

Thanks once again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.