Can't recreate VAT return

I realised that I’d forgotten to enter some credit card transactions into QF before submitting a VAT return a couple of days back. So I’ve entered them and have rolled back the VAT return with the intention of recreating it with the new information included. However when I press the ‘create’ button it just pops up a list of filed returns. How can I recreate the return?

Thanks!

In future if this happens again, don’t roll back the return for small errors like this, they will automatically get accounted for in your next return.

Rolling back a return in QuickFile doesn’t affect what has already been sent to HMRC and unless it’s a major error that means you’ve underpaid your VAT by several thousand pounds they’ll probably just tell you to correct for it next time anyway.

So back to your original question of how do you clear things up from here - you need to turn off the options to file online in your QuickFile VAT settings, then it should let you save a return for the same period again. However before you do that I’d recommend you delete the additional purchases and payments you created, so the replacement return exactly matches what you already submitted. Then recreate the entries (either from scratch or view deleted purchases and un-delete them) and just let everything correct itself next quarter.

If you can’t do that then you’ll have to make manual adjustments when you save the new return to make it match the submitted one and then apply the same adjustments in reverse to your next one to even things out.

Either way, once you’ve saved the matching return you can turn online filing back on again ready for next time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.