Card payment not applied to invoice

I’m not sure if this should be categorised as a bug, maybe you can advise…

Yesterday I inputted the same credit card details separately to two different invoices issued to the same person (service charge for 2 properties owned by one person).

Both times I got the message that the payment was successful.

But today one of the invoices is showing as still outstanding and there is no record of the card details I inputted yesterday while the client was on the phone with me.

Have I done something wrong or is there a fault?

In the course of investigating I discovered I had input the wrong email address to one of the invoices - would this have been a factor? Is there any way for me to know what might have been emailed to the wrong email address?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Sarah

Hi @bbmpro

Who did you use to process the payment (e.g. Stripe)? Is there a record of this on your account with them?

The email address shouldn’t be a factor. Generally this is used to email confirmation to your client by the payment processor.

Thanks very much, I checked Stripe and only the one invoice payment was received so it doesn’t look like the client’s money has gone astray but I’d just like to know why I got a payment successful message. Maybe I should flag this as a bug?

Were the 2 invoices paid together, or were they paid for separately?

Usually when the payment is successful, you’ll also see an entry in the event log for that invoice.

I went into each invoice separately and entered the card details. There’s no entry in the log for one of the invoices. I’m satisfied that payment was not taken I’m just trying to understand how it happened that I got a payment successful message when in fact it was not.

Thanks very much for your help with this.

Is there any indication on the stripe side? Maybe the authorisation went through but then their Radar fraud detection system blocked or reversed it.

1 Like

Hi Ian, I didn’t see anything in Stripe. How would I know if their fraud detection system blocked or reversed it - should I phone them? Thanks very much for your help with this.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.