Claiming tax back for samples of fudge that I'm sending out/letting people taste

Hi everyone,

I’m new on here, and new to book keeping/accountancy, so be gentle LOL.

I have a small, new fudge making business, and am trying also to get regular work with holiday business’s putting my fudge in their holiday homes. To this end, I give a lot of samples away, roughly £12.44 every time. I also get people to taste my fudge before they buy, and end up opening up roughly £30 of fudge, or more, every time I do food fairs. Am I able to claim this back/make it tax deductable (am I even using the correct terminology?) in Quickfile, and if so what do I claim it under? I’ve done one submission where I put it down to advertising. I am unable to produce an audit trail simply because I’ve cooked it, bagged it and then opened it, and have no evidence that I’ve done it other than the ingredients I’ve bought. Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Incidentally, £12.44 is the price I would sell the fudge for, and not the price it takes to produce it. Many thanks.

Ian
Devonshire Dollop Fudge

You’ve already deducted the cost of the samples when you put through the “general purchases” of their ingredients. I don’t think you’d be allowed to offset the additional “lost revenue” (which is what you’re effectively asking for by talking about the retail price of the samples rather than their cost price) but you’d have to ask an accountant if you want to be sure.

1 Like