Co-op, Cooperative Bank statement processing

Upon logging into QF today I see that some new integrations have been implemented for some new fintechs I have never seen before (or so I surmise).

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) is a well established national organisation for the support of small businesses. I suspect many QF users are members of the FSB. The FSB promoted business bank account is with The Co-operative Bank plc. So I suspect many QF users have Co-op business accounts.

May I ask when the simple task of updating QF to adjust to the new format Co-op bank statement will be implemented? This issue was first raised when the Co-op changed its format almost a year ago now. I forwarded an example statement with notes to QF support at the time.

I know that ā€˜otherā€™ can be selected but to have sensible entries, the csv file needs preformatting as there are too many fields. This can be done by some simple parsing code but I have not got around to doing it for myself as I expected QF to implement this on a timescale of weeks or months rather than years. Can I have a realistic timescale of when this will be implemented? Thanks.

I havenā€™t heard of crezco before but ebay and brightpay Iā€™ve heard of. Brightpay has been around for a good number of years I think.

From what Iā€™ve seen on the forum a bank feed would be the best option for co-op but they donā€™t support open banking like the others do. Have you mentioned this to your bank or even fsb to see if they can apply some pressure?

This wold be best and thanks for the suggestion but this would take substantially more resource than changing a couple of lines of code/data in QF to change how a few comma separated variables are parsed.

Last year I also questioned why QF has the option to upload Co-Op bank but it hadnā€™t been modified to accommodate the bankā€™s new CSV format. The option is still present, and still hasnā€™t been corrected. It does seem rather odd that the solution put forward is to select ā€œotherā€ and have to repeatedly select the columns when the QF team had previously worked out how to process the Co-Op Bankā€™s cvs.

Had the columns I selected been ā€œrememberedā€ after the first time I used ā€œotherā€ it wouldnā€™t have been too bad, but QF is forgetful. An option to save as eg ā€œMy Bankā€™s Layoutā€ would have been satisfactory.

By the by, I tried downloading a csv in the new format, reconfiguring it by hand to the old format and uploading that, but QF didnā€™t seem happy with my efforts.

Hi @jwf

Some changes were made to the coop pre-loaded mapping. Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

Please could you let us know how you get on?

Hi @QFBeth, thank you. It appears to work for me, thank you for making the change. However (customers are never satisfied :)), one thing I did suggest as being something that would be really useful way back when I sent you guys an original example file was that it would be really useful if the text in fields 2,3 and 4 was concatenated. Certainly combining fields 2 and 4 would be good (field 3 is far less useful).

Co-op puts the ā€˜Bank Referenceā€™ in field 2 and the ā€˜Customer Referenceā€™ in field 4. Annoyingly, both of these are necessary for identifying transactions as sometimes field 2 identifies who the money is to/from, and sometimes it is field 4. Field 3 is ā€˜Transaction Descriptionā€™ and, although of some use to indicate the type of money movement, far less important than fields 2 and 4.

I would be grateful if you let me know if this would be possible, please. If not, I shall write my own script for my own use and I can put this to bed. Thank you.

Hi @jwf

I agree with you on combining the fields and it was a question I asked but unfortunately it can only be mapped to one unique column. If you wanted to combine you would need to manipulate the download first and use the ā€˜otherā€™ option when uploading the statement

Thank you for your help Beth, it mostly works as before.
The one issue I have is the Bank Tagging Rules. As itā€™s a different column my previous text match fails. Iā€™ve added an extra rule to match the text that now appears. However, it doesnā€™t seem to be working.

My question therefore is, do the Bank Tagging Rules only get processed during upload?

Hi @IT-G

The bank tagging rules will only process future bank transactions, it doesnā€™t look back, you could delete the transactions and then refresh your feed to reimport them to get the rules to apply?

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I thougt it might be the case. Itā€™s only one transaction, so Iā€™ll just leave it until next time.

1 Like

Thanks, Beth. When I have time I shall write something that combines text from fields 2,3 and 4 but leaves the correct number of commas. That should then be ok to use the ā€˜Co-opā€™ option rather than ā€˜otherā€™.

Hi @jwf

Yes, if it has the same number of columns and has the data in same format as the ā€˜originalā€™ then you can continue to use the co-op option

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.