Copied invoices keep same name

For existing customers I almost always make a copy of an existing invoice and amend the details.
But I have found recently that the Invoice Name in the list view stays the same as the invoice it was based on, even though that Name (i.e. the Description of the first item in the invoice) has changed.
Not a biggie, but still a bug I reckon.

I wouldn’t say it’s a bug. When you first create a blank invoice that doesn’t have a name to start with then the name defaults to the first line description, but after that point the two are independent - you can customise the name after creation and change it to anything you like.

Hi @dlamp

What @ian_roberts says is correct. The invoice name only defaults to the first line of the invoice if the invoice name is blank to begin with. However, as the invoice you are creating is a copy of another invoice, the name isn’t blank so doesn’t default to the first line.

If you want to change the name of the invoice at any time, you can do this by going into the invoice list and clicking on the name of the invoice and changing it to whatever you want it to be.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks both. Fantastic support - community and official. Again! - I am constantly recommending QF to people, and always mention the speed and accuracy of support.

It’s not a bug, in the slightest. My only suggestion is that the fact that the invoice name in the list view is editable be slightly more obvious? Yes, the pencil icon appears on hover, but in almost five years of use I haven’t noticed it (and/or grasped the meaning).

Thanks again.

If you go to Account Settings >> Advanced Features, there’s an option to edit this easier:
When this is on, you’ll see a field for the “Invoice Name” when you create/edit the invoice itself, under where the project tags are:

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.