Credit Notes interrupt Purchase sequence numbers?

Hi,

I’ve been on a bit of a mission the last couple of weeks migrating my accounts to QuickFile. I’ve been busy rekeying a load of purchase invoices from my old system, with the purchase invoice numbers matching nicely between systems. For example my “old purchase invoice #1” matches “#QF00001”, all the way through to “old purchase invoice #147” matches “#QF00147”.

However, I’ve just “tagged” a bank transaction as a refund from an old invoice, which created “#CN00001”, and the next purchase invoice I created has skipped “#QF00148” and gone straight to “#QF00149”.

Since I can’t edit the purchase “Receipt Numbers”, it means my nicely aligned purchase invoice numbers aren’t going to match any more, which is going to be a royal pain if I ever need to go back to my old spreadsheet.

Can someone advise:

• if this is how it’s supposed to work - i.e. Credit Notes cause Purchase Orders to skip a number

and / or

• how I can create a #QF000148 so I can re-align the QuickFile “Receipt Numbers” with my old invoice numbers?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi @kingsland

Because of the way credit notes are recorded with purchases, it will create a gap in the purchases themselves. This can’t be changed unfortunately.

Similarly, the numbering of a purchase invoice can’t be changed. However, these are just for internal reference.

Can I just ask if there’s a particular reason for entering historic records rather than importing a trial balance or inputting opening balances? I’m just trying to understand your situation better as there may be an easier option.

Hi QFSupport,

Thanks for confirming.

I’m trying to import all of my historic accounts so I can throw away the old system.

I appreciate I could just start off with opening balances in QuickFile, but that’d mean I need to keep the old system around as well to refer back to old transactions.

I’ll have to think about how I do this. I guess I could put the old system’s number as a prefix in in the new “Invoice Name” field and just accept the new numbers will differ. It also means I’ll have a gap between where the old ones stop and the new ones start - e.g. my last purchase invoice in the old system is #393 which will probably be something like #QF000405 by the time it’s skipped ahead because of all the historic refunds I’ll be entering.

My accountant will get a list that says “#392, #393, #QF000406, #QF000407” at my next accounts run, so I’ll just have to explain where the numbering gap came from. I think that’s probably preferable to having the old system hanging around for a number of years.

Thanks again,

Mike

@QFMathew

I’ve got a follow-up question…

How do I change the “Invoice Name” for purchase invoices that have been refunded, so I can add the old system’s purchase invoice number to the description?

I’ve got two invoices which were refunded and currently show “CREDITED IN FULL” on the preview, but there’s no “modify” button so I can’t change the invoice name :frowning:

Cheers,

Mike

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.