Default bank selection for uploading statements

I keep selecting the same bank (Other) for statement import. It’s a small thing but it woud be nice if it were set as a default.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you use any other banks for the imports? You may be able to use a bit of javascript on accounts with a Power User Subscription to change the default value. We can certainly help with that if you wish?

Yes please. That would be a nice addition to my workflow and to your JS library.

I’ll have a quick look for you and update you shortly :slight_smile:

[Edit]
Ok, the code is below. You would just need to add this to your account using the advanced customisation (Account Settings >> Design Customisation >> Advanced CSS and HTML Customisation >> Custom Scripts):

$(document).ready(function() {
    // Bank type ID - can be seen from the source code on the bank statement upload page
    // Simply take the value from the dropdown of bank names
    var selectedBankID = 0;     // 0 = 'Other'

$('.bank-uploadData-aspx #dropBankNames').val(selectedBankID);
});

Hope that helps!

1 Like

This didn’t work for us.
When selecting “Import statement”, there shouldn’t even be a choice to what bank to select. This should all be done in the bank settings for each account.
Please consider to change the setting of the statement origins in the bank account settings page.

Hi @guillaume.khw

While I agree this would make things easier, there are a few points to consider when doing this.

1. What if the file format has changed on some accounts? This has happened previously, and we wouldn’t want to fix the bank name just in case it has changed. Some users may want to select the ‘Other’ option to manually map the columns

2. When it comes to banks such as Santander, there are 2 or more supported file formats. Which one should be chosen?

With the optional code above, it allows a bit of flexibility - users can add it if you wish, or leave it. It’s always tricky changing some of these things as people get used to the way of working.

I will however pass your comments on to our development team, and they’ll certainly consider all feedback when it comes to reviewing this part of the system.

What were you looking to select from the list? Were you looking to select ‘Other’, or was there a specific one? Can you post the code you’ve used and we’ll see if we can get it working for you?

It still seems to be an overkill to have more than “the bank for this statement” and maybe “others” if there are issues as you say of the statements changing. setting the default for the bank would still be helpful.

The code I used was basically the one given above, under “Custom Scripts”:

$(document).ready(function() {
    // Bank type ID - can be seen from the source code on the bank statement upload page
    // Simply take the value from the dropdown of bank names
    // var selectedBankID = 0;     // 0 = 'Other'
     var selectedBankID = 12;        // 12 = 'HSBC'

$('.bank-uploadData-aspx #dropBankNames').val(selectedBankID);
});
1 Like

@guillaume.khw - The code should work. But, that said, I’ve just taken a closer look at the upload statement page and it should actually be selecting the defined bank already, providing it’s in the list.

If you remove the code you posted, is this the case for you?

I’ve tried again after removing the code, it is not working.
The GBP account has always defaulted to “Alliance and Leicester”

Just to confirm, the bank account in question is set to a bank name (not ‘Other’) on the modify bank page?

1 Like

You were correct, for some reason it was set to “Other”.
It is now changed and working as expected.

Thank you for helping fix this.

1 Like

We use Santander, but it always defaults to Santander (txt file). Is there any way to get it to default to Santander (qif file) without changing all banks (which I presume the custom scripts code does)? we also use another bank so I don’t want to change that one. Thanks