EC Sales list submission fails

I receive the following error when trying to submit an ec sales list. I believe I have previously submitted one through QF in 2017 and have checked the credentials 10 times over (they are the same for the VAT submission settings that work). I also checked online on the HMRC portal and I confirmed that ECsales options are in my profile so it seems I have registered for that service.

Any ideas why it fails beyond the obvious message, or how to check further?

EC Sales submission to HMRC failed.
By Gateway : Authentication Failure. The supplied user credentials failed validation for the requested service.

Hi @sean1

The error you would see is the one returned by HMRC, so in this case it does suggest the details aren’t correct.

What period are you trying to submit them for? Does it match your VAT period?

Crazy - just spoken to HMRC and they refuse to align the submission quarters. What do I do now? Is there any way you could allow someone to edit their ECsales period quarters seperate to the VAT submission ones? Talk about making tax complicated again!

There isn’t a way to submit an ECLS for a different period than your VAT return within QuickFile at the moment I’m afraid.

In this scenario, you would have to submit it directly through the HMRC website.

This may very well change in the future, especially given MTD (Making Tax Digital), but there are no guarantees that this will be the case.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it is not your problem but be great if that option could be added. Is it not even as simple as allowing people to alter the period reference manually if required (assuming this is our obstacle here)? I was hoping that if I could just alter mine from 2018-08 to 2018-09 it might actually accept it. I am sure I am not alone with this issue.

Update - I think I just found the answer in another thread (ironically I think it was posted yesterday). Solution is to change the VAT return quarters to align with ECSales which can be requested through the HMRC portal.

Glad you managed to resolve this @sean1.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more queries :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.