Few clients say they never received email notification on invoice/ estimate

Hi,
Have now a few clients who complained about not receiving/ not being aware of new invoice/ estimate raised.

Is anyone else having this issue? How can I check it’s been received by the client?

Thanks

Hi @OvidiuS

Are you using your own SMTP server? If you’re not, are you using the default @quickfile.co.uk email address, or your own?

@QFMathew It looks to me like I’m using Quickfile SMTP, with our own email address

I’ve found a few accounts linked to you. Can you confirm the last 3 digits of the account number please?

@QFMathew last 3 digits 602

Just taken a look at this account for you. It looks like you’re using your own email address but not your own SMTP server and the mail is actually being sent from our server. What this means, is because our server hasn’t been authorised to send mail on your server’s behalf, the chances are it’s being rejected or pushed to the spam folder.

There’s 3 possible fixes for this:

1. You set up SPF records for your domain (this can require a little bit of technical knowledge)
  2. Set up your own SMTP server on QuickFile (it’s the same as setting up an email account in software such as Outlook)
  3. Change the email address on your account to noreply@quickfile.co.uk (the simplest fix)

There’s a guide on both the SPF records, and setting up your own SMTP server here:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/improving-email-reliability/8904

If you need any help with any of these, please let us know.

Thanks - will look into it and let you know if I need any more help.

1 Like

@QFMathew Did the SPF, it should be fine now, but it asks for a code which I do not have?

Once I’ve done SPF not sure if there is anything else I need doing on the settings - would you mind have a look please.

Thanks again

Hi @OvidiuS

If you’ve set up the SPF records, there shouldn’t be a code to enter on QuickFile (actually, you don’t do anything on QuickFile for SPF records).

I can see that you’ve set up an SMTP server too on your account, which will ask you for a code. This is emailed to the activation email you entered when you entered your SMTP details.

You would need either the SPF set up, or the SMTP - you don’t need both. If you wish, you could remove the SMTP setup on your account and keep the SPF, or vise-versa

[Edit]
Just looked up your SPF record on your domain name. It looks like you don’t have any others setup, so you should just have a TXT record that reads similar to this:

“v=spf1 a:spf.quickfile.co.uk ~all”

@QFMathew Change done - thanks for your advice.

How can I know emails will work? Would you mind have a quick look and confirm if all is ok?

Thanks again

SMTP has been removed all OK, but the SPF entry isn’t quite right.

I can see:

*******.co.uk. 14399 IN TXT “include:spf.quickfile.co.uk”

The “include:spf.quickfile.co.uk” part needs to be as per the above:

“v=spf1 a:spf.quickfile.co.uk ~all”

There’s no 100% way of checking it works. You can certainly run it through a validator to make sure it’s correct (you can find these on Google), but until emails are sent and either rejected or received, you won’t know for definate. It just means that you’re authorising QuickFile to send emails on behalf of your domain name, and hopefully the receivers mail server will see it as authorised.

[Edit]
You can check the live record by using a tool such as this one:
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/

Enter the domain name and select ‘TXT’, and you should see something similar to what I did above.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.