Final VAT Return on cash accounting - manual adjustments

Hi,

We de-registered for VAT with effect on 05/02/21 as were liquidating the company. After reconnecting Quickfile to VAT Online (it failed to connect after de registering), it’s correctly picked up the need for a return for the period 01/12/20 - 04/02/21. My issue is there are two invoices dated 31/01/21 which were paid on 12/03/21 and need to be included in this final VAT return.

These aren’t being included as we use cash accouting, so I presume I need to make manual adjustments in the VAT return Boxes 1 and 6. I understand I need to make journal entries to account for this, but am unsure what these should be. Would I simply:

Credit Manual adjustments (2204)
Debit Sales tax Control (2200)

We are in the process of re registering for VAT since have decided to continue trading, so I presume the first VAT return when re-instated will also need manual adjustments as the two invoices will be accounted for again. If this is the case, would I reduce Boxes 1 and 6 by the same amounts and then create a journal:

Debit Manual adjustments (2204)
Credit Sales tax Control (2200)

Any help much appreciated!

Hi @Meeko,

The VAT journals you have suggested look correct to me but it is always best to check with your accountant to be sure.

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.