HMRC returning an error when carrying out VAT Bridging

I am trying to file my first VAT return with Quickfile. I registered with HMRC to file via Quickfile last November, I have had the confirmation email and phoned them this morning to confirm all is in place at their end. It is all OK.

I want to use the bridging feature to file my return.

When I try to create a return in Quckfile the software does a check with HMRC and then gives me a message telling me that I am not authorised to file a return.

Can you help please?

Hi @AndrewWood

Can you just confirm the error message you are seeing please? There are a few different errors which can be created and by knowing which one you are seeing this will help me in diagnosing the problem.

Hi Sian

Error message attached

Andrew

Hi @AndrewWood

There are usually a few reasons why this message is shown. Some of these relate to problems on HMRC’s side, but seems you’ve already contacted them and they have confirmed that everything is set up correctly on their end, I’m to discount those.

One thing you can do is check that you have connected the correct tax account to QuickFile. If you have checked this and it is the correct one, then please get in touch and I’ll see if I can offer any other advice.

Hi Sian

What do I need to check? I have checked that the VAT number is correct, is there anything else?

Andrew

Yes. You need to check that there is a tax account linked to quickfile. Under the mtd section.

Other people have reported in the past that disconnecting the tax account from the QuickFile side and then going through the connection process again sometimes frees up whatever it was that got stuck.

What/where is the MTD section?

Reports -> HMRC (yes, I agree, it’s not a particularly obvious location)

There is a linked account - please see attachment

Hi @AndrewWood

Have you tried @ian_roberts suggestion of disconnecting and reconnecting your tax account?

Thank-you, that appears to have worked

1 Like

All done - return successfully submitted and acknowledged by HMRC, thanks for your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.