How does later entry effect vat return

We have just moved over to Quickfile from the previous accounting package that was not MTD.

We submitted our previous Vat return in April manually but I have just found a March invoice that was missed, if I enter it into Quickfile as a March entry will it adjust the Vat for my next return

Hi @Knitting4fun

As the invoice is before the current period, it will simply be pulled into the next return for you so it won’t be missed.

However, as always, just double check the calculations from the backing report just to be sure it’s there.

Thanks so much, I though it would be the case but as its new software that Im having to get used to I wanted to make sure,

1 Like

Can you just explain the backing report

On the VAT return screen there’s a button to “Download Calculations”. This is a CSV file (which can be opened with spreadsheet software such as Excel).

This will give you the totals of the boxes from the return, and show how they were calculated (e.g. what invoices and payments were used).

What you would expect to see here, is the earlier invoice being included.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

On the Vat return screen all that is showing is past returns and nothing else?

untitled

Hi @Knitting4fun

Let me send you a private message just to be sure everything is set up and working correctly here.

Please look for a green notification in the top right corner shortly.

Now that we are connecting through MTD I have tried entering a old invoice that was missed and it is not being picked up on the returns. Should I alter my Vat filling start date as that is set as 01/04/2019

The logic is that QuickFile will include any relevant entries that are

1. On or after your VAT start date and
  2. On or before the last day of the quarter you’re filing and
  3. Not already included in a previous QuickFile VAT return.

So it depends what you did about invoices that were still outstanding at the point where you started using QuickFile and whether you’re on cash or accrual accounting for VAT. If this is the only invoice you’ve got listed in QuickFile that is before the current quarter then it should be safe just to un-set the vat start date or set it before the date of the extra invoice, but if you have other invoices in QuickFile where you already accounted for VAT in your previous accounts package then it might pull those in again too. In that case a manual adjustment may be the simplest way to fix it for this return. Subsequent returns will behave as QFMatthew described above.

2 Likes