How to show expenses reimbursed out of cash before bank deposit

Hi there,

I can’t work out how to post this in QuickFile.

£108 was collected in cash. Expenses for £12.50 + £28.50 were reimbursed from the cash. Then £67 was transferred into the bank account. The £108 needs to show as donations received and the £41 needs to show as an expense.

I tried making one sales invoice that shows all 3 lines so that I could match it to the bank transaction, but I couldn’t change the category on the £12.50 & £28.50 lines to show the relevant expense account. Almost no expense accounts came up on the list and I don’t know how to make more accounts appear on that list?

So I’ve made a sales invoice for £108 and two purchase invoices (£12.50 & £28.50) and matched the bank transaction line (the £67 payment) as a payment on account to it. How do I match the two purchase invoices up to it now?

Or is there a better way?

Many thanks!

Treat your cash box as a bank account.

Treat the £108 donations received exactly the same way as you would a donation into your main bank account, but use the “petty cash” account instead of the current account. Your expenses are recorded as purchases again exactly as if they were paid from the bank account, but using “petty cash” instead of current account.

And when you deposit the remaining £67 that is simply a bank transfer from petty cash to current account.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Ian! :person_facepalming: D’oh, yes, I’ve done that before. Clearly it was time for a rest when I posted this!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.