How to tag a recent payment from an old invoice

Invoice dated 8/5/18, payment received in bank 20/9/18. Amounts match exactly. Selecting ‘Payment from a customer’ through ‘Tag me!’ does not find the outstanding invoice even when set to 6months. Help please!

(As an aside, if a payment comes in over 6months later, how does one tag it?)

“Pay down multiple invoices…” might find it, but if it doesn’t offer you the right invoice then you’d either assign the payment to the client account and then find the invoice and “apply from credit”, or “log payment” from the invoice side which creates a pre-tagged bank transaction, then delete the untagged duplicate.

1 Like

Nothing finds it. Thanks for the manual instructions. Problem is that this doesn’t really fix the bug and it will probably happen again. I shall use it for now. Thanks very much for helping.

Under “account settings” -> “advanced features” there’s an option “search range on bank tagging” to increase the time window in which bank tagging will look for matching invoices up to a maximum of 6 months either side of the transaction date, this may help for next time.

Thanks, already tried that as I found this on a similar thread. Didn’t help this time, but maybe next time before the invoice is created; not sure.

I guess tagging invoices older than 6months is not possible and one would just have to do it the ‘log payment’ way (or some other manual way)?

Hi @jwf

If the transaction is older than 6 months, using @ian_roberts’ suggestion of using the “Pay down multiple invoices” option should work. If you’re experiencing problems with this, then please let us know and we’ll take a closer look for you.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.