Manual payment vs bank statement upload

I have recently moved to QuickFile last Thursday I paid 31 purchase invoices but deliberately did not add a manual payment (to avoid the risk of duplication) but instead waited until Monday when I uploaded the bank statement for the last week. I then reconciled each purchase invoice with that already entered into QuickFile, However, when I had completed this activity none of the purchase invoices was shown as having been paid. I then added a manual payment to each. Although the purchase invoices are marked as paid there are duplicate entries for each. Today I went through and manually deleted each duplicate, only to find there was no longer a record of any payment for any of the purchases, I have since re-imput the manual payments. This begs a number of questions:

1 should payment be made manually or via bank statement upload?
2 is there a delay in tagging payment through the bank statement upload?
3 does payment through the bank statement upload create duplications?
4 how can duplications be removed without removing the payment completely?
5 what is the consequence of the duplication?

It seems you started out on the right track, i.e. upload statement then match to existing records. This is great and will ensure that you don’t need to reconcile your bank all the time.

When you tagged those bank records to the invoices I think maybe you either paid the funds to the supplier account and not to the actual invoice, or you actually created a second invoice rather than linking to the one already there?

In answer to your questions:

1. Either way works but uploading the bank statement then linking to invoices saves the time of bank reconciliation.
  2. No there isn’t, anything tagged here is instantly updated.
  3. It can do if you don’t select the option on the screenshot below. This option will allow you then to input a supplier name and it will search for any unpaid invoices you can link to. If you pick the option to the left it will create new invoices instead.
  4. Detagging from the bank will unlink the payment from the invoice, but the invoice will be reverted to unpaid and must be manually deleted.
  5. Duplicate invoices will give you the wrong sales/purchase totals in your P&L, duplicating bank entries will messup your balance sheet. Either way duplicates need to be found and removed.

Hope that helps!

Thank you that is a help, however when I deleted the duplicate entries it deleted any payment leaving the invoice unpaid despite there still being an entry implying payment. What I need to do is get back to where I was on Thursday. If I remove all payment entries can I then delete the bank statement upload and start again?

It’s inter-related so deleting “tagged” entries on the bank will revert any invoices they were tagged to as unpaid. If you’re not dealing with a huge number of entries just clear the bank and start again. Understanding how everything fits together will make things a lot clearer for you, once you’ve got the hang of that it should be simple.