Mileage claims

Claiming business mileage - Ltd company Director.
I understand you cant claim for mileage from Home to Normal place of work, but how does this apply in my scenario.
My office is at home, but i rent a storage unit where i store additional stock. As and when needed i fetch stock from there for shipping out. Can i thus claim for fetching the stock, is that any different to me going to a supplier to fetch stock?

I would say no. As its a perminant place you travel to. If it was temporary storage id say yes. But it isn’t.

I would say, how is this relevant to QF software?

1 Like

Interesting question, I feel you may be able to claim. The best bet is to phone HMRC & ask. I have phoned on a Saturday morning (before Covid) & got through straight away.
I found the following replies from google -
As a limited company director, you can claim back mileage from HMRC if you use your personal vehicle for business trips, and you’ve paid for the costs of fuel.
According to HMRC, these trips are defined as journeys you make ‘wholly and exclusively’ for business purposes. These include:

• Trips taken to complete work (i.e deliveries)
  • Trips between two workplaces for the same job
  • Going from an employee’s home to a client
  • Going to a temporary workplace

You can claim for business mileage for delivering or transporting goods, business visits to clients or partners. Business mileage covers the miles you travel for business purposes, such as travelling to a client. You must only claim for journeys that are “wholly and exclusively” for business purposes – your daily commute or any personal trips taken in your vehicle don’t count!

1 Like

Not sure what that has to do with the actual question if you drive from home to the storage it’s no different from driving from home to a perminant place of business. and if you ring hmrc on a different day you’ll get a different answer. They arnt always right.

This topic was automatically closed after 32 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.