MTD First return

Hi, Trying to submit my first MTD Vat return, which came up fine but wouldn’t submit, it now comes up with
" You are not yet authorised to view this report for the **VRN … . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update"

Think i enrolled OK, and looks OK in vat settings, thought i had set it up a while back, then tried again last week but only shows the above message.
Appreciate if anyone else has solved this issue.

Thanks in advance

Hi @micktip,

You would have had to register for MTD with HMRC, they then send you an email to confirm the set up. Have you received this email?

Hi, Thanks for reply, no haven’t had any notifications from HMRC as yet.

Thanks

I would log into HMRC and check that you have registered, I believe the email can take up to 72 hours to come through. But once you have received confirmation then the link with QuickFile is usually straight away.

Ok Thanks, will wait and see. Did log onto HMRC but couldnt actually find where the registration bit actually is.

Hi @micktip,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sign-up-for-making-tax-digital-for-vat

After registering for MTD, one needs to wait about 2 or 3 days for HMRC to email to which says you have successfully singed up for MTD.

Its only after that you can activate the setting in QF and progress with the submission.

However, I understand if you register for MTD too close to your due date for VAT return submission (which I have assumed is 7th Aug?), then there may be issue.

At the moment, HMRC are accepting ‘usual’ i…e old style submission of VAT return and not penalising since its the first attempt. But by your next due date , you will need to do it under MTD.

1 Like

I am having a similar problem in that I get the same message, although I have received an email from HMRC stating signup complete 5 days ago. My VAT return is not due for submission until 7th September. Advice on what to do please.

Thanks

I have registered for MTD even though HMRC did NOT send me an email to confirm. I have linked the account to HMRC but when I select the saved VAT return to 31st July the only option I get is to ROLLBACK the return so there is no submit button! HELP!

If you’ve already saved a return for that period then you will have to roll it back and then create a new one and have the “file online” checkbox at the bottom ticked when you save that one.

HI @Marion_Jewell,

The dates that we get for your submission come directly from HMRC so if you aren’t seeing the dates you were expecting then it may be worth contacting them to confirm?

Hi @Roger_Laing,

Where is it that you’re only seeing the option to Rollback? If you go to Reports > HMRC are you seeing the list of filed and due returns?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.