MTD won't allow me to submit VAT Return for previous period

Hi Quickfile Community,
I am hoping somebody can please help me with a problem I have.

Back in January I registered for MTD and then (mistakenly) manually created a VAT Return (for 01/10/18 - 31/12/18) in Quickfile and logged in to HMRC and filed it in the old way. I did this because I thought I would have to wait until the next quarter to file my VAT returns by MTD.

Obviously, I was wrong as now HMRC are writing to me to say they have not received my VAT Return for 01/10/18 - 31/12/18 and that I need to submit it by MTD.
In Quickbooks, I have successfully connected my Tax Account to HMRC and under ‘VAT Obligations’ it shows the 01/10/18 - 31/12/18 VAT Return as Open, but when I click on ‘Prepare’ and try to submit it, it says “Vat return submission failed. Please file the VAT return for the period begining: 01/01/2019”.

Does anybody know how I can overcome this and successfully submit this VAT return to HMRC electronically?

Hi @steve1953

Do you have the original VAT return still on your account, or has this been rolled back?

If you haven’t rolled it back, you will need to do this in the first instance, or you end up with 2 for the same period (hence the error). If you go to Reports >> VAT Returns, find the return for the period you’re filing for and view it. From there, you should see an option to roll it back. This doesn’t delete it, but it will undo it.

This should then allow you to submit the same period using MTD.

Thank you very much, that has worked.

1 Like