Prepayment not showing when I try to allocate it?

Hi, I have a prepayment on an account and I wish to allocate it to an invoice. When I select the invoice and select pay there is no prepayment balance available to allocate?

Hi @ESL62

We’ll certainly try to help :slight_smile:

Firstly, are they the same currency? For example, is the invoice GBP and the prepayment GBP?

No Euro and STG. Does that make a difference?

Yes. The prepayment and the invoice need to be the same currency.

How has the prepayment come about? Was it added manually for example?

Yes through my bank account and tagged from it.

I mean tagged from it and left it as a prepayment. Now when I go to allocate it the value is not there.

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you.

I think we’ve located the payment you’re referring to. As the one side of things is GBP, you will need to delete the original payment (instructions below), and log the payment from the invoice itself.

To delete the payment, go to the supplier in question, click ‘View’ and select ‘All Payments’:

Find the payment (it should show as ‘unallocated’), and either click the red ‘X’ at the end of the line, or view the payment and click ‘Delete payment’:

To pay the invoice in GBP, go into the unpaid invoice, and click ‘Log Payment’, and enter the GBP value and the EUR value (tick ‘pay in full’ if required)

Adjust the values as required too, and the exchange rate will update to match these.

When you save this, it will mark the invoice as part paid/paid in full, and create the tagged bank transaction too.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that but I also had to go to my bank and delete the payment there as it was showing as untagged.

No problem. I assume everything is now all showing correctly, and tagged correctly?

Yes no problem. Is that a bug in the system?

No, it was more of me missing something out in the steps above :slight_smile:

But glad you’re all sorted!

Ok but if I were to do the same thing next month will I be able to allocate from the balance on account?

If the currencies are different, no. Unless you add the prepayment from the supplier / client record directly. In which case, you’re able to specify what invoices it can be used for if the currency isn’t GBP.

If you go to their record, you can click on ‘More Options’ and select ‘Add a Prepayment’, which will present you with the options similar to this:

You can specify the currency by changing invoices it’s available for. By using the options above, it would create a £100.00 transaction, tagged to the client or supplier (whichever you choose), and create the credit in the currency you selected (in this case, EUR). That will then be available for any EUR invoices.

From the screenshot above, €120 is now sat on the suppliers account, but tagged to a £100 transaction in the current account: