Rebill expenses to client

After 3 years of struggling with hugely time consuming rebilling of expenses I cannot believe there is not an easier way. Please tell me I am not wasting unnecessary time.
At the start of each month, I create a new invoice for the client. On a daily basic I record the hours I work and reasons.

Quite often, I have to travel and all expenses I incur once I leave home are billable with receipts directly to the client. At the end of the year, I should only pay tax on hours work.

I scan receipts as I get them and with dropbox integration, they are imported to the reciept hub. I document them and they end up in purchases which I classify as ‘Cost of sales - client expenses’ as advised years ago. This is fine.

However, its a real pain now to manually add all the expenses (sometimes in a month there can be 100) to the client invoice. ‘Rebill to client’ does not work as I cannot add to an existing invoice in progress. I then have to manually add existing file reciepts (I search on date filenames I create before uploading). It takes hours to do this each month.

I keep following up a feature request to be able to rebill purchases to an existing invoice but apparently there is no demand for this feature.

I cannot be the only one who works like this. Is my workflow wrong? Is there an easier way?
Thanks in advance from a frustrated user.

1 Like

Hello @BlueSprint

The way I would recommend dealing with this, is to sent them 2 invoices and a possibly a statement.

• Bill you client for your time as you already do.

At the start of each month, I create a new invoice for the client. On a daily basic I record the hours I work and reasons.

Sent them the invoice for “Hours worked”

• Record your expenses as you do

I scan receipts as I get them and with dropbox integration, they are imported to the receipt hub. I document them and they end up in purchases which I classify as ‘Cost of sales - client expenses’ as advised years ago. This is fine.

Use the rebill client option to transfer the expenses and attachments into a new “expenses invoice”

If you wish to send them something showing both, send them a statement.

Thanks Steve, That certainly is a workaround but far from ideal for me. I need to fairly well itemise expenses so the Statement option will not work for me. I think it will confuse things with the company if I send two invoices each month. I guess I will have to struggle on as I am right now.
Thanks for your reply

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.