Refund bigger than invoice

Hi,
I am trying to process a refund, but due to the changes on currencies, the refund is a little higher than the invoice.
When this happen the other way, the system allow me to get the partial refund assigned to the invoice, but when the refund is higher, it says there is no invoice that match that amount, which is correct.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Hi @expertoswp

What currency is the invoice and payment in? I’m assuming that one of them isn’t GBP given the currency difference you mentioned?

It is from the credit card information from the bank.
Paid to USA in USD; convert by the card to EUR and refund to USA in USD and convert again to EUR by the card.
So, in this case is not GBP, but it could be GBP if the credit card was from UK.

No problem. You should be able to enter it as a negative value invoice. Create the invoice as you normally would, but enter the value as a negative.

For example:

This will then prompt you to create a bank transaction in GBP:

You can then tie off the GBP transaction as you would normally using a holding account or similar.

I hope that helps!

Hi,
I was creating the transaction first and using it as a “refund to supplier”.
This method of creating a new invoice for the refund is new to me, but I supposed it will work the same. :slight_smile:
It is for a supplier, so I imagine this is going to be the same thing, right?

That’s right - supplier invoices are almost a mirror to client invoices in the way that they work.

If the values were the same, or the refund less than the invoice, then you could create a credit note or use the “refund” option from bank tagging. It’s just because the value is greater you need to do it a bit of a different way.

1 Like

Done! Thank you for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.