Restrictions on Sales and Purchase Category Codes

I know that this topic was raised a couple of years ago, and I am wondering if there has been any further thought on this as the restriction on the account ranges that sales categories can be applied is, frankly one of the few really annoying features of what is generally an excellent system.

Our problem is that when we are raising customer invoices for training courses, part of the fee is club income, but part of the fee is the payment for the examination at the end and should therefore be credited to a balance sheet account - Exam Fees Control, or to the Purchase Ledger account Credit of the Supplier of the Exams - I don’t mind which.

At the present however, the sales category must go to a P&L account in the sales range, the Invoice from the Supplier of the exams must go to a P&L account in the overheads range and them we have a journal trail to deal with.

I hear Monty Python - ‘My Brain Hurts’.

Surely there has to be a better way than this.

Advice would be appreciated

I agree that some of these early controls on the nominal ledgers are a little restrictive. Last year we started working with a few users to allow additional balance sheet codes to be utilised within sales invoices. Unfortunately we have yet to extend the user interface on the Chart of Accounts to enable such codes to be specified.

If you wish I can ask for specific codes on your Chart of Accounts to be updated so that they can be called within sales invoices? Feel free to send me a private message with the relevant details and I shall get that updated for you.

We will hopefully have the GUI resolved within a couple of weeks.

That will be great, thank you. I am looking overall at the structure of the chart of account and, when I have worked out what is neeed where, I will get back to you.

I agree - this would be very useful.

Resurrecting this topic, I would like the following codes to be set up in the Sales ‘Inventory Management’ section of our system so that amounts billed on sales invoices can direct the required element to the balance sheet liabilities as the sums are held by us as intermediaries

CATEGORY : RSGB - FOUNDATION EXAM FEES
CODE : 2121 - RSGB FOUNDATION FEES CONTROL

CATEGORY : RSGB - INTERMEDIATE EXAM FEES
CODE : 2122 - RSGB INTERMEDIATE FEES CONTROL

CATEGORY : RSGB - FULL EXAM FEES
CODE : 2123 - RSGB FULL FEES CONTROL

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many of the codes on the Chart of Accounts (system or custom) should now be eligible for either sales or purchases invoices, just enabled on a code-by-code basis.

If you go to the Chart of Accounts report (Reports >> Chart of Accounts), and find the code you wish to enable for sales/purchase invoices, and click the orange cog to edit it, you should find 2 check boxes to switch this on/off:

Of course, if you have any issues, please let me know.

Hi,

I have tried this, and edited the settings in the cog, but the code still does not show up when I try to add the category to the invetory.

Ill bet I am missing something obvious, but please could you direct me in the right direction.

Just as an update, I see that I can select the code within the body of the sales invoice - which may be okay, but not as descriptive as if the code were assigned to an inventory item.

Is it possible to assign the codes to an Invetory item?

Very many thanks

Mike

Hi @Mike

I’m glad that you can get it working in the invoices themselves. I will refer your query regarding the inventory setup relating to these over to our development team as I’m not sure what the intended behaviour is here.

I’ll come back to you shortly.

Very many thanks Matthew

Mike

1 Like

Hi @Mike

You should now be able to use the nominals you’ve enabled for sales invoices in your inventory.

Would you mind checking and confirming this is working as expected for you please?

1 Like

Hi QFSupport,
I have expenses included on invoices (which are netted against the payment) and I want to code them to the correct expense. I do not have the option of updating the setting in the Chart of Accounts as you describe above. The cog wheel is greyed out for all codes.

Hi @Eddie1

Some nominal codes are restricted because of their use within the system, or because they’re system codes.

You may be better to create a journal if you need to use those nominals.