Revaluation journals through the API

Having noted lacking functionality as regards currency revaluation here, I decided to implement it myself through utilisation of your API.

The API does not however document how one can create the ‘special’ journal type associated with currency revaluation.

I have built the functionality in its entirety, but the journal entries I create through the ‘Journal_Create’ endpoint modify the balances of the currency account in question.

When done through your browser based tool the account balance is NOT affected.

Please say there is simply an undocumented parameter that I can pass in my XML to create such a ‘special’ journal.

Many thanks.

Hi @thomasclowes

The currency loss/gain is a journal of a simple balance between the relevant bank account (e.g. 1200 Current Account) and 7902 Currency Charges.

The actual values and what would be CR or DR would obvious vary depending on the gain/loss.

However, can you clarify this point for me please?

Do you have an example of when you see this happening please, and we’ll take a closer look? The sandbox API is live so any changes should be reflected in your account.

For added clarification, as outlined in your documentation:

When committed, the balance as expressed in the foreign currency will be unaffected but the native currency value (visible in your Chart of Accounts and general ledgers) will be adjusted by the amount specified.

In the attached image one can see that a revaluation done through the ‘journalEntry.aspx?type=CC&nominalCode=1204’ page does not affect the account balance (the top entry).

On the other hand, a revaluation (debiting and crediting the same accounts) done through the API (the bottom transaction) does.

This obviously has something to do with the ‘type=CC’ parameter passed with a submission through the web.

My question is essentially as to how one passes this parameter with an API request.

Thanks

That’s correct. The ‘type=CC’ parameter tells the system that it’s a currency revaluation journal, and it prevents any alterations to the running balance of the foreign currency bank account. As you correctly point out, it creates a zero value line in the bank statement.

It’s not currently possible to do this via the API. However, we’re happy to consider this. Generally with changes or new features, we’ll leave the thread open for other users to add their comments or vote.

Watch this space! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Whilst I appreciate your position this isn’t a new feature request, but rather a request for the API to mimic current site functionality.

I can understand being careful with allocating developer time to new features, but surely one benefit of having an API is the ability for users to implement ‘missing’ functionality themselves…?

I say this because the lack of appropriate revaluation functionality for my needs means that I cannot use Quickfile. I may be the only person needing this functionality so I appreciate it may not be a top priority.

If the API is updated to include what I suspect is a very simple update then everyone is happy, I can use QF (which on every other respect is awesome) etc.

Thanks a lot.

Hi @thomasclowes

The currency revaluation update is something that will be very simple for us to support and I’m confident that this will be implemented by Wednesday next week at the latest. We do try to maintain parity between the web application and API, but this can be a challenge, so we are often a couple of steps behind with the API and work to extend functionality as and when it’s needed.

I will ensure that you are updated as soon as this feature becomes available.

Thanks a lot Glenn. Much appreciated.

I completely appreciate basically everything that has been said (as a software engineer myself).

I don’t like being too presumptuous about the ease of implementing functionality knowing that it is never as easy as it may seem.

I’ll keep an eye out for the API updates next week, and will finish up my revaluation tool. I’m happy to make it publicly available if that would be useful.

Thanks once again for the fantastic software. Has made my accounting weirdly fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pleased to say that the Journal_Create method has now been extended to support revaluation journals. If you’d like to post a revaluation journal, you just need to include the following in your request:

<IsCurrencyRevaluation>true</IsCurrencyRevaluation>

Hope that helps, let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Thanks a lot for this Glenn. Much appreciated !
I will have a play and finish up my revaluation implementation tomorrow.

All the best.
Thomas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.